Quick, Easy and Budget Friendly Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Suddenly your calendar is packed with deadlines, exams, meetings, clubs and social activities, leaving very little time for you to de-stress. Especially if you’re a freshman, away from home for the first time, being unable to hug your family pet or shut yourself up in your own room when you need ‘me time’, you may feel totally overwhelmed. It would be awesome if you go for a massage or a pedicure, but on a college student budget that’s probably not possible. Read on for ideas on how to care of yourself in cheap, time-efficient ways.

Drink some tea

Tea, especially when it’s non-caffeinated, is calming to drink and super comforting as the weather cools down. It’s also extremely easy and inexpensive. Buy some tea (Celestial Seasonings has great herbal flavors) from your local grocery or even drug store. Fill up a microwave safe jug or cup, heat it up, then put in your tea bag, leaving it to brew until it’s the right flavor for you.

Paint your nails

Painting your nails allows you to focus on one thing and take a break for a while. Many brands make inexpensive nail polishes that are still good quality such as Wet n’Wild and NYC (less than a dollar!), and they are available at the CVS stores on BU’s campus. Rubbing some lotion on your hands takes this DIY manicure to the next level. 

Go outside (or to the gym)

Fresh air can clear your head and as Elle Woods famously said, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.”  You can find a park and take a leisurely stroll or just a take a quick walk around campus or on the Esplanade to get your blood flowing (you may even find some new favorite places!). If the weather outside is too awful, BU’s Fitrec is paid for with your undergraduate student fee, so you might as well use it! You can use the machines or relax in the hot tub or lazy river.

Indulge in something familiar

Take some time and rediscover something that makes you happy. This could be a book you loved growing up, a movie or TV show that makes you smile or an album you use to have memorized. The Boston Public Library has library cards available to college students and with them, you can either check out a physical book from their extensive collection or download a digital book to read for free on any electronic device. Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime let you watch a variety of movies or TV shows for a low fee and Spotify has a student discount. Curl up and indulge (just make sure you don’t fall behind in your schoolwork).

Feel the love

If you’re feeling totally stressed and isolated, reach out to the people that care for you. Find the letter your best friend sent you and reread it. Skype your family and laugh with them and see your pets up close. Call a friend and talk to them about how you’re feeling. Love is always free and there are ways to feel close to people even if you’re far away from them. Remember to reach out to people on campus too! They care about how you’re doing and hugs are scientifically proven to lower stress levels.

Take care of yourself everyone, and know it’s totally valid to put YOU first.

Catrin is a freshman at Boston University. Although she is a British citizen, she considers Boulder, Colorado as her hometown. She is pursuing a degree in International Relations in the College of Arts and Sciences with a minor in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's studies. She is a lover of cats, theatre, the outdoors, and beauty products. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.