Plant Parenthood Part 2: Day in the Life of a Parent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s about a month into my new life as a plant mom and my children have honestly changed my life. They light up my desk, give me a manageable purpose daily, and are just really pretty to look at. The routine I’ve built around them, however, wasn’t always easy to create.

The hardest resolution I’ve had to make is getting organized. I didn’t realize how cluttered everything was until I had to make space for my plants. When school starts and things get busier each day, it’s easy to forget about the smaller details of life (like organization and cleanliness) because we’re so caught up in other responsibilities.

One day, I set aside some time to go through the items on my desk to clear some space for the plants. It took some tedious time but was definitely worth it. Plus, it got me motivated to clean the rest of my room. Now when I look at my desk and my plant babies, I feel less panicked by mountains of books threatening to wreak havoc on my life.

The next thing was remembering to nourish them. Silly and cliche, I know. But when it’s easy to mute alarms and reminders, it’s also easy to forget. Sunlight wise, they’ve been doing pretty well. I was worried at first because my room gets very little direct light, but there have been none of the tell-tale signs that they’re getting too little or too much. Watering, however, is all on me. I tried to add to it daily ‘to-do’ list and would set daily reminders on my phone as well. But this just made it feel like another grueling task.

The simplest solution I’ve made is putting a cute little note near my closet so I remember when I’m grabbing a coat or leaving for the day. This has made taking care of my plant babies seem more like part of a hobby I’m testing out. Recently, I’ve been looking into succulent soil because I’ve heard it helps nourish any dry plants.

In an overall update, I really love having plants. I think I may get another one soon. I’ve bought a cute pot for my succulent and plant to get another one for my pilea soon. I just want to decorate them and integrate them more into my life. Stay tuned for more plant parenthood updates!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.