absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Places to Eat in Cambridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Trekking over the Charles River into Cambridge seems to be a burden to most Bostonians – especially college students who don’t want to spend money on a quick cab ride over the BU Bridge. But, it’s totally worth it. Cambridge is home to some of the best restaurants, cafés, and coffee shops in the Greater Boston area. Also, food prices tend to be cheaper in Cambridge than in Boston (yay for saving money!) In no particular order, below are my five favorite places to eat in Cambridge.

1. Zinneken’s, Harvard Square

Located at 1154 Massachusetts Ave on the outskirts of Harvard Square lies a tiny waffle joint. Zinneken’s specializes in authentic Belgian waffles – and I’m not talking about the thick, fluffy diner-style waffles. I’m talking about liege waffles – the perfectly sweet and perfectly crispy Belgian waffle made out of gooey dough and crystallized sugar. You can get an array of toppings – caramel, nutella, Belgian chocolate, Oreos, whipped cream, ice cream, all types of fruit, and more. So if you’re looking for a quick treat – stop by Zinneken’s!

2. Area Four, Kendall Square

Located at 500 Technology Square near the Kendall Square/MIT Red Line is Area Four – a coffee/bakery, restaurant, and bar all in one. The Mac & Cheese main dish is delicious – and definitely big enough to share with a friend. The pizza selection is also great – from Margherita to Hawaiian to Carnivore pizzas, they have just about everything. The prices are also relatively cheap – around $15 for a meal (ideal for a college student on a budget!)

3. M3, Davis Square

Meat n’ three, better known by locals as M3, lies in the heart of Davis Square on 382 Highland Ave. Some of M3’s most delicious dishes are the chicken & waffles – a southern favorite turned (um) classy. Also, the mouthwatering buttermilk fried chicken & biscuits would satisfy any chicken lover’s cravings. And, if you’re looking for something light and refreshing, go for the watermelon salad mixed with cucumbers, fresh mint, goat cheese, and of course watermelon!

4. Hi-Rise Bread Company, North Cambridge

Located in the heart of the quiet Huron Village at 208 Concord Ave in North Cambridge, Hi-Rise Bread Company is my go-to snack food when in this residential area. The assortment of bread, sandwiches, salads, soups, and coffees is awesome – and relatively healthy. My food suggestion: the Lx Heart Ache sandwich. It’s a unique take on an egg, cheese, and meat breakfast sandwich – topped with mounds of gorgonzola cheese, hand-cut bacon, two brown eggs, tomato, red onion, & honey mustard on a semolina roll grilled to your liking.

5. Moksa, Central Square

This Pan Asian tapas style restaurant is located in the busy streets of Central Square at 450 Massachusetts Ave. Moksa has just about any Asian style dish you could ever want – soups, salads, rice, noodles, teriyaki dishes, every kind of sushi, and more. Some of the standout dishes are oven roasted butternut squash soup, spicy edamame, chicken lettuce wraps, ginger crab & shrimp fried rice, popcorn shrimp, and a large assortment of sushi rolls. The prices are great – all food ranging from $4-$16! And for those over 21, there is an extensive cocktail and wine list perfect for some happy hour drinks!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.