samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Patterned Pants: The Essential Piece To Your Business Casual Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I was never really much of a patterned pants type of girl. I preferred the flashiest part of my outfit to be my top or an added accessory. In my view, the pants seemed like an interesting spot to waste the pattern on, because this meant the rest of your look had to be solid colors in order to match that one item. 

However, I’ve found myself growing bored with patterned tops, so this fall I decided to try more patterned pants, and let’s just say, I’m sort of in love with the trend! Patterned pants allow for far more flexibility in your look, and allow you to look cute while presenting yourself in a professional manner.  

Still not convinced a patterned pant is for you? Here are some reasons you should reconsider!

Solid tops do a much better job at bringing out your best features.

Wearing solid colored shirts allows for the focus to be your face, rather than people’s eyes instantly being hooked to the pattern of your shirt. Neutrals like white, black, grey, and tan are great at highlighting your face and sharpening features. You don’t have to overdo the look with a lot of makeup in this case, because your face is already seen more. Spice up the look with statement earrings and you will be glowing!

Patterned pants look amazing with booties and loafers.

Featuring dark neutrals such as black, navy, grey, or brown, allows for some easily matched footwear. The pants are typically cropped, allowing the perfect cutoff range for any bootie or a little ankle exposure with a loafer. I prefer patterned pants to the typical dress pants or jegging, because I think they flow better with dress shoes. In an outfit styled with patterned pants and booties (or loafers), where the pants end and your shoes begin does not look too smooshed or forced around the ankle. 

They are super comfortable.

Ladies, we all know that finding dress pants that aren’t too loose or skin-tight can be a daunting task. In another respect, finding a comfortable pair of tights to wear with skirts and dresses seems like searching through a needle in a haystack, only to have the tights run after only a few uses. But a patterned pant eliminates this struggle, allowing for you to be cozy in a pair of pants that bring a dressy vibe through their design alone. It’s like getting away with wearing cropped jeans to work, except you look a lot more stylish and will get plenty of compliments.

There are so many different options out there from so many stores.

I’m definitely not the only person who has been eyeballing the patterned pants trend this fall. Almost every clothing store I’ve been in this fall has featured an array of these pants in all patterns, colors, and fabrics. Whether it be the Clueless yellow plaid print or even camo, I guarantee you will find the right pattern to match your personality. Personally, my favorite pair so far has been Hollister’s tapered pant. They are so comfortable and fit true to size, so be sure to check them out. Some other good places to look are American Eagle, Macy’s, Marshall’s, and the Gap.

It can be hard to put together looks on a weekly basis for work or your internship. Hopefully, the addition of these pants into your wardrobe makes the process a lot smoother!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, my name is Alex and I'm a journalism major at BU who loves coffee, the beach and writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.