Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The One Tip You Need to Improve Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A healthy relationship is hard to find these days. It’s rare to meet someone who is just as willing to invest their time in you as you are. One important thing that young couples often don’t realize, though, is that relationships are a lot of work. The key to having a healthy and successful relationship is to never stop putting effort into it. Constantly working on making your relationship better is crucial if you want to be in it for the long run.

Make time for each other. Go on more dates, where it’s just the two of you with no friends, no cell phones, and no other distractions. Doing so will bring you and your significant other closer together. And remember, going on dates doesn’t have to be expensive! They can be little things like ordering in and watching Netflix, exploring the city, building a snowman, and so on. If the two of you are together and enjoying each other’s company, anything as small as laying in bed and talking can be considered quality time with each other.

In the world of modern dating, we often expect the guy to plan and pay for everything and constantly be spoiling his significant other. However, taking turns treating each other is far better and a lot more fulfilling for both of you. As a woman, I love to surprise my significant other sometimes with a small gift or even picking up the tab sometimes. Boys deserve to be spoiled too!

One thing that newer couples especially struggle with is communication. We tend to want to be seen as easy-going and carefree at the beginning of a relationship, but in the long run, this does more harm than good. If something bothers you, you should let your partner know as soon as possible. Being transparent with each other is hard at first, but as time progresses, you will become better and your relationship will improve.

Similarly, relationships consist of compromise. Before being with your partner, you were probably used to making decisions without having to think about what another person would want or need. However, know that your way may not always be the best way and sometimes meeting your partner in the middle is better than getting what you want.

The key to developing a stronger relationship is to constantly be working towards getting to know your partner and doing things to bring you two together. Improving your relationship takes time and effort but is ultimately very fulfilling!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!

Leanna, originally from New York City, is a student at Boston University.