nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Tips on Dealing With Your First Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My first heartbreak was really difficult for me. I felt really alone, but now that I’ve gone through this experience, I am glad that it didn’t work out. I believe that we were truly not met to be with each other, and that was a really hard concept for me to realize at first. But I am truly so much happier without him in my life. I’ve had so many amazing experiences without him. Here are the best ways to overcome your first heartbreak. 

1. Cry.

It hurts really bad. Like it feels like your insides are being sucked out of you. But it’s okay to cry. Just let it all out. Don’t stop until the tears stop coming out. You’re really hurt. This is your first heartbreak. You can’t even step outside without crying.

2. Go to the gym.

Find a way to distract yourself. Make yourself look so good that he wished he never hurt you that bad. Burn all your anger, frustration, and sadness away. This is a good and healthy way to keep your mind off of what happened.

3. Hang out with friends.

Do something other than lay in your bed all day crying. It’s okay to cry, but don’t let that sadness consume you. Get out of the house, meet new people, or catch up with old friends.

4. Talk to people.

Talk to anyone that will listen. This is a good way to get all your emotions out of your chest. Sometimes you’re too much in your own head and that makes you think crazy thoughts. So, having someone else to talk to you and make sense of everything will help you out in the long run.

5. Find new hobbies.

Go to that yoga class. Find a job. Start babysitting again. Find things that will make you happy. Step away from your normal routine for a bit and have some fun with things that you want to do.

6. Cry some more.

Little things are going to remind you of him. Like that restaurant you guys went to or that baseball team that he loves. So, the tears are going to come no matter how hard you thought you pushed them back. They will come. Out of nowhere. But one day you’re going to realize he’s not worth all your tears.

7. Don’t text him.

Don’t act desperate. You could do so much better than him. You don’t need to be constantly reminded of him or know what’s going on in his life.

8. Try and think positive.

I am a firm believer that some things are not meant to be and this relationship is one example of this. It took me a while to come to this conclusion and it was really hard for me at first. But I am one hundred times happier now than I ever would be with him.

I was really hurt, for a long time after my first heartbreak. I hope that some people will be able to benefit from this list of tips.

Cover Photo Credits: The Odyssey Online

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sophia loves everything bagels with cream cheese
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.