This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Spring is a season of renewal, reflection, and growth. I don’t know about you, but I’m definitely in need of spring right now— especially after this long and cold winter we’ve had. As an avid reader, I like to match my books up with the seasons I’m in. This means snowy books for winter, and warm books for summer. So here is a list of books that remind me of springtime, based on genre. I hope everyone has a restorative spring on the horizon!

Classics

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Ah, Anne of Green Gables. Nothing calls to mind spring like this book does. Perfect for all ages, from childhood to adulthood, Anne reminds us to not take anything too seriously, that friends are the most important thing, and that nature is an endless adventure. If you want to live your best cottagecore lifestyle, you should take some notes from Anne (and once you read this, be sure to watch the TV adaptation, Anne with an E on Netflix!). 

Literary fiction

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by Fredrick Backman

Fredrik Backman is one of my favorite authors because of his focus on small communities and the humanity within. While most of his books have a spring-like quality to them, I think My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry is the perfect pick for springtime reflection and growth. Translated from Swedish, this book follows seven-year-old Elsa after her best friend— her grandmother— dies. Elsa’s grandmother leaves behind letters for Elsa to give to all of the people she wants to apologize to, and we watch as Elsa intertwines reality with imagination as a way of finding forgiveness on behalf of her grandmother. This is the definition of heart-warming and you’ll come out of it wanting to hold the people around you a little closer (and maybe crying a little bit, no shame). 

Non-fiction

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

There is a reason this book was so popular when it was released (and even turned into a movie starring Reese Witherspoon). Cheryl Strayed has lived ten lives in one, and hearing her experiences highlights the strength a person can hold. The reader joins Strayed as she hikes the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) after the death of her mother, her drug addiction, and her divorce. This book will not only make you want to become a professional hiker, despite Strayed’s many trials and tribulations, but will also make you turn inward. When I read this book I thought: If Cheryl can be so strong, can’t I?

Poetry

American Primitive by Mary Oliver

This Pulitzer Prize-winning collection of poetry contains some of Mary Oliver’s best work. The beautiful waterfall on the cover isn’t the only reason this book reminds me of springtime; the way Oliver tackles the subject of healing is a feat of writing. With an acute focus on nature and trauma, Oliver weaves together her own struggles with assault, queerness, womanhood, and larger issues within society and the natural world. I know my copy has a lot of underlines, and I’m sure your’s will too.

Romance

Get A Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

This is the perfect romance book for getting one’s life in order, which I believe spring is the perfect time for. Chloe Brown is a “chronically ill computer geek,” as the book’s blurb describes her, who is trying to get a life. When Chloe needs help accomplishing her new goals, she turns to Red Morgan, the dangerous motorcycle-riding handyman at her building. It’s a great enemies-to-lovers romance with both hilarious hijinks and steamy scenes. 

There we have it! I hope these recommendations inspire you to keep reading, or maybe pick up a book for the first time in a while. No matter where you’re at, it’s never too late to start reading. Once all the snow has melted, I hope to see people reading these books, or others, outside on BU Beach, enjoying the spring air!

Currently reading: How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.