gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Only New Year’s Resolution Is To Be Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The most annoying thing about New Year’s Eve is the cascade of resolutions that people feel they need to accomplish by year’s end. For instance; be in a relationship, lose 10 pounds, get a promotion, get a 4.0 GPA and so on and so forth.

I, too, was prey to this unhealthy obsession with the promise of a new year. But this year, my only resolution is to be chill, and, believe me, no one was more surprised about this than I was at this.

After all, doesn’t everyone scoff at the person at brunch who bravely declares that they don’t really want to have an overarching list of resolutions to pursue this upcoming year. Truthfully, I have unfortunately been the person to scoff at such statements. 

I definitely couldn’t have imagined that my only real resolution this year is to be, in the words of my cousin’s Instagram handle, terminally chill. Think about it. Almost every aspect of having a resolution is predicated on anxiety and the need to constantly pick at it, like a scab.

“I want to lose 10 pounds,” You might say. Now, of course, some people might want to lose weight for health reasons, but the vast majority of people that I’ve talked to that possess such a desire are just losing weight because they feel insecure about their weight and looks. The most infuriating part of this for me, as an observer and friend or family member, is that these people often don’t need to lose weight at all! They are perfectly beautiful and valid.

I personally want to spend this year focusing on me and my self-growth instead of rushing into a relationship or constantly thinking of ways to lose 10 pounds. I want to stop worrying about that text-back or going the extra mile for someone who puts in the minimal effort. I just want to keep it simple and do things that I’ve always wanted to do. You’re only young once, after all, and I want to spend the best years of my life not stressing. I want to do things that I’ve always wanted to do, like start a band and be the lead triangle player. I’ve already discovered a plethora of indie bands just by looking for a new soundtrack to my chill life. (Everyone should totally check out Catholic Action by the way, which is a really great band!)

This may not be for everyone but so far—fingers crossed—2018 has been pretty chill. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

The quintessential English major who's obsessed with coffee, Orange Is The New Black, puppies, babies and also human rights (coz those are important). She can usually be found trying to convince people that she's actually a college student or eating at Panda Express. In her spare time, she also enjoys arguing about whether or not Kanye West is a genius or overrated. Follow her on instagram @dahappytoad .
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.