This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Participating in my first half-marathon was exhilarating. Running my first half-marathon with my sisters was amazing. Finishing my first half-marathon in under three hours was unbelievable.  

Me and two of my four sisters.  

When my sisters first signed me up for the 2015 Newport Half-Marathon, I was confused. My endurance level was no more than three miles. But, my family believed in me and I soon believed in myself. I wanted to run my first half-marathon strong, so I worshipped a training schedule for a month and a half. By mid-September, I worked my way up to seven miles. Whoa, I know. 

Snapchat screenshot of  one of our group running sessions

The Race was scheduled for Sunday, October 11. On Saturday morning, I trained down to Providence with my friend and No. 1 fan Melissa and we met up with my two sisters and my older sister’s friend in the city. We had to make a quick turnaround and drive to Newport to pick up our race bibs and the cool swag, which is the most important thing. To end Race Day Eve, we had a carbo-loading ceremony and raised our cups of water to a great race for all. Truthfully, we were looking forward to a 5:45 AM wake-up call. 

As we set off for Newport at 6 A.M., I was feeling the jitters. But, I was pumped at 7 A.M. and ready to make history for myself. My race plan was to run the entire course with all my heart, literally. As my sisters and I made our way to the start line, the adrenaline rush electrified me and my heart was racing already. Before I could even whip out Snapchat, the announcer counted down from five and then an idea become a reality. There was no turning back.  

The race pack at Mile 2. 

Running the first three miles along side a pack of runners felt good, the climb to the five-mile mark was not as painful as the following three-mile stretch from the six to nine-mile mark. I could feel the unfamiliar pain begin to take over my thighs and the soles of my feet, but I kept telling myself, “Mind over body, mind over body.”  

The breathtaking views were great distractions. 

Mile 5 

Easton Beach 

Mile 6 

I knew deep down that I had the strength to run the whole course. Even when front runners would stop to walk, I kept my focus. I would only allow myself to slow jog because I knew stopping would drain the momentum. Once I passed 10 miles, I attacked the last three miles with passion.  

And the last mile was definitely the best mile. Seeing my sisters and friends cheering my name as I crossed the finish line was too real that I cried tears of joy.  

I never thought I would complete a half-marathon in my early 20’s, but one of my good friends and my No.1 fan at the race reminded me, “It always seems impossible until it’s done!”  

​Me and my No. 1 fan, Melissa 

I am proud to say that the deed is done. I have a super, multi-colored, and weighty medal hanging on the wall opposite of my bed and it will continue to have a place on many more walls. The award symbolizes the completion of the race, but, for me, the medal hangs as a reminder of the impossibility of accomplishing goals.  

In the words of Audrey Hepburn, “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’.”  

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.