My Favorite Passover Recipe: Chocolate-Covered Matzah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Passover, a Jewish holiday celebrating liberation from slavery in Egypt, has arguably some of the best Jewish recipes. Even though the eight-day holiday is observed by not eating bread products, I stand by the fact that Passover desserts, specifically, are the best Jewish holiday desserts out there. If you celebrate Passover, your first thought might be of coconut macaroons—but my personal favorite is chocolate-covered matzah.

chopping food and food prep
Photo by Conscious Design from Unsplash
Chocolate-covered matzah is delicious and really easy to make. Here’s my family’s recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of butter
  • 12 ounces of mini chocolate chips
  • Plain matzah (our baking trays usually fit 4 sheets of matzah)

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 350℉
  • Line baking sheet with tinfoil (one with sides if you have it—otherwise create makeshift borders with the tinfoil)
  • Lay squares of matzah flat onto baking sheet to cover the bottom
  • In a saucepan, melt the sugar and butter over medium heat until combined
  • Pour the caramel liquid over the matzah and bake for 10 minutes
  • Remove tray from oven and immediately pour chocolate chips over the hot matzah
  • Let the chocolate chips begin to melt and spread them over the matzah evenly
  • Let cool for several hours until the chocolate is set
  • Break the cooled matzah by hand or use a sharp knife

a hand mixer in brownie batter
PublicDomainPictures

And that’s it! Chocolate-covered matzah is so simple to make; the longest part of the process is just waiting for the chocolate to cool before you can eat it. Even if you don’t celebrate Passover, this dessert is absolutely delicious and definitely worth trying.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.