This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have always loved Goodwill. Their mission to provide affordable products to communities, and give those living in those areas job opportunities is inspiring. Especially as a college student, being able to buy nice, new (to me) clothes for cheap prices is something I really appreciate. Ever since I came to Boston University and found the Goodwill on Commonwealth Ave, I’ve been obsessed. Plus, in September they have a discount for BU students which makes the already great discount, even better!  

Whenever I make a new friend it’s safe to assume I will be bringing them to Goodwill at some time in the near future. These are some of the best things I’ve discovered on these shopping trips!

A BU Mug

I found this in the first couple weeks of my first semester at BU. I was pretty excited that I didn’t have to pay for an overpriced mug at the bookstore and instead got the same one for 75 cents! I’m not going to lie, I’m still questioning why someone gave this away.

Workout Leggings

These are my go-to yoga leggings. They were only $4.00, fit perfectly, and they were basically brand new. There is even a little pocket on the back that can fit lip balm, money, or credit cards!

Quilted Slip-On Sneakers

These shoes are totally on trend right now and I can see why; they go with everything! I had been looking at this exact pair online for a week, contemplating whether or not I should spend the money. Coincidentally, I decided to walk through the shoe racks at Goodwill and found the same pair!

A Turtleneck Sweater

Turtlenecks are amazing when it comes to Boston winter. It’s like wearing a scarf, but so much less bulky! This one was around $5.00 and was a little big when I bought it. I threw it in the dryer and now it fits perfectly!

Rain Boots

I had been looking to buy a pair of expensive rain boots when I found these at Goodwill for $10. They’re a shiny black material that matches everything. I’ve walked all around Boston in them and found them to be super comfortable and most importantly, waterproof.

H&M Tank Top

I love H&M so I was pretty psyched to find this tank top. I spotted it in on the racks and was drawn to the unique pattern. It ended up only being about $3.00 which only added to my excitement!

Forever 21 Shorts

Somehow, I’ve managed to acquire shorts in almost every wash and color, except for this light denim. When I found these on sale towards the end of summer, I knew they would be the perfect addition to my wardrobe. I love the ripped look and how everything I find at Goodwill ends up fitting me perfectly. There’s just something about that worn-in feel.

Even though Goodwill may seem a little overwhelming with the endless racks of stuff, it’s so worth your time. With each purchase, there is the opportunity to help a community and maintain the giving and getting cycle. Goodwill was even founded in Boston, so I feel proud to be supporting the company in its hometown!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.