The Most Decadent Chocolate Mug Cake for the Perfect Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

All of this cold weather has been making me feel more exhausted than usual, and by the end of the week, all I want to do is snuggle up in my bed and stay there. I know that plenty of people are still going out on the weekends, but I just can’t bring myself to freeze for the sake of curing my FOMO. Instead, I have decided to embrace the value of staying in for the night. With some blankets, a show to binge, and some good take-out to eat, all of my feelings of regret vanish as I settle into dorm-estic bliss. To make staying in that much more luxurious, I like to treat myself to something sweet. When the weather outside is frightful and there is no fire in sight to make everything so delightful, this decadent mug cake will do the trick. Check out the recipe below!

Credit: Emma Kopelowicz

Ingredients:

1/4 cup of all-purpose flour

2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (you can add a little extra if you want a super rich chocolate flavor)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

2 1/2 tbsp. baker’s sugar (or granulated either way works fine)

1/8 tsp. salt

1/4 cup + 1/2 tbsp. milk

2 tbsp. canola oil

1 tbsp. Nutella (or chocolate chips)

Credit: Emma Kopelowicz

Directions:

1. In a mug or microwave-safe container, combine all of your dry ingredients.

2. Then, add in the milk and canola oil until all the ingredients are combined with no clumps.

3. Drop in a tbsp. (or maybe a bit more since it’s the weekend after all) of Nutella

4. Place the mug in your microwave for 60-70 seconds. I always do it for the lesser amount of time, and then I check it with a toothpick/fork to see if it is fully cooked.

5. Carefully remove the mug from the microwave with a dish towel, and let it cool for about 15 minutes.

Credit: Emma Kopelowicz

As you dig into this super rich and delicious mug cake while rewatching New Girl for the sixth time, just remember that this is self-care at its finest. You are doing yourself a big favor by staying in for the night, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you start to feel bad about not being social. It’s all a balancing act, and sometimes staying in is the perfect way to reset after a long week. There will always be more weekends with more parties, so don’t sweat it if you don’t go out for a couple weeks or even a month.

Your body deserves a break, and yes, you can certainly make an exception for this mug cake.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is a senior at BU studying Journalism and Gender and Women's Studies in the College of Communications. She's originally from sunny Los Angeles, California. She is an avid fan of local bakeries and making oddly specific Spotify playlists.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.