coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media

Meet Steve Crow, a Doctor on the Frontlines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My dad, Steven Crow, is a family practitioner in Lubbock, Texas. He grew up in Abilene, Texas, and was the first person in his family to graduate from college. For as long as he can remember, he has wanted to be a doctor and help people. The COVID-19 outbreak has changed everyone’s lives, but it has especially changed medical professionals’ lives. I’m so proud of him and couldn’t think of a better person to profile. 

man holding stethoscope
Unsplash

Q: What made you want to become a doctor?

A: I was a very sick child, so I spent lots of time in the hospital, and decided I wanted to be a doctor at a very young age.

Q: How has COVID-19 affected your work?

A: The workflow in the clinic has drastically changed. Anyone that is ill with symptoms of COVID-19 is funneled to the back of the clinic away from the rest of the patients to be seen by the doctor covering our COVID-19 clinic. Otherwise, the rest of the clinic is slow, because patients following up for chronic problems are hesitant to come at this time due to concerns about exposure.

Q: How has COVID-19 affected your life?

A: I have to be more cautious when I get home from work to limit exposure to my family – I immediately shower and change my clothes when I get home. I worry about my family’s safety and others’ safety, as well. I miss going to movies as that was a big stress reliever for me. On the bright side, I get to see my college kids more because they are home.

Q: What are your predictions about COVID-19?

A: There’s really no way to know. But, I am hopeful that increased testing will help. Although, ultimately, a vaccine is going to be needed.

Q: What advice can you give to people about COVID-19? 

A: Social distance, wash your hands, and wear a mask. Think of others, and don’t be selfish. Even if you’re not in the high-risk group, you could catch it and give it to those that are.

There are doctors standing in the hallway of a hospital.
Oles Kanebckuu

Not all heroes wear capes – and my dad is proof of that. Not only is he the best dad, but he loves helping people. I am so grateful for him and all of the other medical professionals and first responders that are doing so much during this time.

If you can’t stay home for yourself – please stay home for them!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Suzanne Crow is a senior journalism major and American studies minor from Lubbock, Texas. In addition to being a writer and editor for Her Campus, Suzanne is a COM Ambassador, a Sigma Kappa, a radio show host for "Ladies of History" on WTBU, a writer for Off The Cuff, and a member of and social media manager for BU on Tap.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.