Career

Meet Savannah Majarwitz: CAS Senator and Mental Health Advocate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Savannah Majarwitz wears a lot of different hats. She’s a passionate International Relations (IR) major, a Project Manager for BU Spark!, a CAS Dean’s Host, and a second-year senator in BU Student Government.

Majarwitz chose to study IR because of her particular interest in the interactions between nations and the impact the past has on the contemporary. “For me,” Majarwitz said, “learning the history puts current policies in perspective, and it becomes clear that history is the past but has grips on the present.” She is a strong believer that it would serve society well to learn from the past, and so she thinks IR offers a comprehensive way to analyze the dynamic between countries currently and for the future.

Credit: Savannah Majarwitz

Her extracurriculars are all geared towards more humanitarian, compassionate focuses. For BU Spark!, she works through the Forced Migration and Human Trafficking Initiative on a Microsoft Human Security Project. Majarwitz also recently became a CAS Dean’s Host, and she’s excited to speak with prospective students about her personal experience and why she loves CAS.

Credit: Savannah Majarwitz

Out of all these different capacities, student government is an especially major part of her life. Majarwitz became a senator as a freshman and it’s a role that she holds very close to her heart. Not only has she met really amazing people and made a lot of close friends as a result of student government, but she loves what she’s able to do as a senator. “I have learned a lot since last year, and I am ready to do whatever I can to make a positive impact on the student body,” Majarwitz said. “Student government is important to me because I see the same mentality I have reflected in those around me.”

While Majarwitz has taken on a lot of initiatives as a senator, the Mental Health Committee is something she’s particularly passionate about:

“The motivation behind the Mental Health Committee is to end the stigma around mental health. This is something that is extremely hard to do as it exists within various facets in society, but the MHC wants to start important and serious conversations that begin with ending the stigma. We want students to know there are different resources here on campus that can help them but also be aware of the resources just outside of BU. We also want to facilitate important and much-needed conversations such as minority mental health. The short run goal is just continuing to educate students on mental health awareness and also be a resource for any student questions about what resources are here. In the long run, we are trying to end the stigma, or at least enacting enough change and awareness that people feel safe and supported to talk about their mental health. While we are planning events for awareness, we are also looking to work with Behavioral Medicine and Wellness and Prevention and work on facilitating a conversation around students’ mental health needs.”

Credit: Savannah Majarwitz

Personally, Majarwitz maintains her mental health by engaging in online therapy, journaling, and art. She started with online therapy as a jumping-off point but is looking for something more traditional, like journaling, which she’s found really helpful. “Journaling is something that has helped me release my feelings and allows me a way to get everything out of my head,” Majarwitz said. “This year I have noticed my anxiety has been worse, and journaling has really been helping me to relieve some of the anxiety and stress.” Art has also really helped her; “Last spring, a friend got me a sketchbook and recommended that I try drawing whenever I feel overwhelmed. It is an invaluable way for me to process my emotions by creating an extension of myself and my emotions.”

Credit: Savannah Majarwitz

When she’s not running around wearing all her different hats, she’s hanging out with friends, playing games, watching comedy specials & documentaries, playing basketball, writing, and playing around on Photoshop.

Find her in the GSU handing out stress-less kits or at weekly senate meetings.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Carina is a senior studying Economics + Psychology at Boston University. She is passionate about marketing, Sally Rooney, and caramel lattes.