Style > Fashion

Let’s Talk About Dogs: Cute Costumes for Canines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dog lovers are always looking for ways to get their canine companions involved in their activities — trust me, I speak from experience. During Halloween, one of the most common ways to do this is by dressing them up in adorable costumes! 

The only problem is, comfortable costumes that fit your pup properly can be hard to find (just ask my barrel-chested hound mix who couldn’t fit into his Petco lobster costume). Even if you do find the perfect outfit, there’s no telling whether or not your dog will actually cooperate and wear it (since many pets don’t like the feeling of clothes).

Whether you’re looking for a way to match with your dog when you hit the Halloween streets or just want Fido to get in on the festivities, the costumes I’ve compiled will come in handy. They’re cheap, simple, and most importantly, comfortable for your dog!

Scooby-Doo

When it comes to group Halloween costume schemes, the Scooby-Doo gang has got to be one of the most common — and for good reason! The costumes are fairly simple and instantly recognizable. But have you ever considered including your dog in the mix? 

If your pooch already resembles Scooby-Doo, then this is the perfect costume for you. All you need to do is find a blue collar and make the iconic, diamond-shaped ID tag with cardboard and markers, and you’re done!

Skeleton

Dying dogs’ fur in all sorts of fun and funky ways has become quite trendy as of late with pink and purple pups popping up all over social media. For Halloween, you can lean into this trend by using pet-friendly fur chalks to paint spooky patterns all over your dog.

If you have a black dog, one of the best ways to do this is by using white fur chalk to paint a skeleton onto its body. Or, if you have a white dog, you could make a reverse skeleton by painting on bones in black chalk. 
Be warned, though, this costume takes a bit of artistic talent and a lot of patience from both you and your dog.

Milk-Bone Halloween Mask and Bandana Set
Milk-Bone
Tiger

If you like the idea of making a creative costume with fur chalk — but a skeleton isn’t your vibe — then consider turning your canine into a big cat! If you have a white or ginger dog, a tiger costume may be the perfect way to go this Halloween. 

Much like with the previous costume, you can use black fur chalk to paint stripes onto your pup. Luckily, this costume has the added perk of requiring much less artistic talent and precision, as random stripes are easier to paint than skeleton bones.

Beanie Baby

All dogs are adorable, so why not turn yours into a real-life stuffed animal for Halloween? With this simple costume, you can transform your pup into a life-sized Beanie Baby.

Similar to the Scooby-Doo costume, this idea takes only a bit of arts and crafts to create. Simply use cardboard and markers to make the trademark, heart-shaped tag found on all Beanie Babies, and then attach it to your dog’s collar.

Lion

This costume idea may be last, but it’s certainly not least! The lion costume is a classic for dogs, and it’s very easily created. All it takes is a mane!

This mane could be homemade with some fabric and hot glue, or it could be bought from any number of places. Just googling “dog lion mane costume” brings up abundant results.

You can also use this costume for a variety of purposes: ironically dress your big-hearted small dog as a lion, turn your pooch into the Cowardly Lion to complete your Wizard Of Oz group costume, or don Belle’s yellow dress while your dog plays the Beast.

No matter which direction you decide to take your dog’s Halloween costume, I hope this article helps! And remember, while it may seem cute to bundle your dog in human-like clothes, it’s important to make sure that your dog is still happy and comfortable. Hopefully, this quick list gave you some ideas that fit that requirement.

Now go forth and find your dog’s perfect costume! Halloween is for everyone: even our pets.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Devan Colby is the senior editor and writing director at the Her Campus at BU chapter. She oversees all articles that the chapter publishes on the site, and occasionally writes some of her own. Outside of Her Campus, Devan is also a feature writer for The Daily Free Press, the independent student newspaper at Boston University. She has also interned with her local Nexstar-owned TV news station as a member of their digital team, where she helped produce content for the station's corresponding website. She is currently a junior at Boston University majoring in both journalism and political science. Writing is Devan's main pastime, and even when not working for a publication, she loves to write creatively. She is also a hobbyist visual artist with an interest in photojournalism. When she's not creating, she can be found going for runs around the city with friends or fawning over her quartet of houseplants.