Wellness > Health

At Least We Beat BC: The Tragedy of the 2020 Beanpot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I didn’t get to go to the Beanpot semifinals, but the game ended 5-4 with Boston University winning against Boston College in double overtime. With BC being our biggest rivals, it must have been a hell of a game—and I was hoping for something equally as exciting in the finals against Northeastern.

Almost the entire balcony section of TD Garden was filled with students from both colleges. Both BU and Northeastern had lively pep bands and loud student sections. The first shock of the game was honestly being at a game that had people actively cheering for the opposition; I’d only ever been to BU home games at Agganis Arena before I attended the Beanpot.

The first period gave BU a great start, ending with a score of 2-0, with BU in the lead. Excluding 2020, Northeastern had won the past two beanpots (2019 and 2018), so it was nice to see us take an early lead.

But the second period brought a turn for the worse. Northeastern scored four times within a few minutes; the period ended with a score of 4-2, and you could feel the tension rising in the student section.

About halfway through the third period, BU scored a goal, making the score 4-3. Suddenly, hopes for tying the score and winning in overtime were rising.

It’s game time here at TD Garden! If you’re not here, watch on @NESN, @nhlnetwork or TSN5! #GoBU #BUBeanpot

Une publication partagée par BU Hockey (@terrierhockey) le

And then it happened. There were exactly 1.2 seconds left on the clock when BU scored again, bringing the game to a 4-4 tie. We were going into overtime—and we were in the exact same place we’d been in when we beat BC the week prior. It really felt like it was our game to win.

No points were scored in the first overtime, so the game continued into double overtime. Everyone was on the edge of their seats, cheering as loud as possible for the Terriers.

Now, I may be biased here, but I swear this was a questionable call by the refs. A BU player got a two minute penalty for tripping, but I swear on the replay tape it looked like the Northeastern player fell on his own, with the BU player falling semi on top of him seconds later. Yes, I was of course rooting for BU to win, but this call genuinely seemed inaccurate.

With one less BU player on the ice, Northeastern managed to score, bringing the final score to 5-4 in the second overtime. It was devastating to watch.

I honestly still can’t believe we lost; it really felt like it was going to be our game to win. But hey, at least we can still say that we beat BC, right?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.