King Princess Reigns at the House of Blues: A Concert Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the release of her new album, Cheap Queen, King Princess is quickly becoming a gay icon for my generation. Her music focuses on gay love and romance, finally allowing young LGBT individuals to relate to content in mainstream media. The twenty-year-old singer is making leaps and bounds for LGBT representation, as well as releasing fire music that will have you singing and dancing for hours on end.

Photo Credit: Lindsay Ellary

Privately known as Mikayla Straus, King Princess’ rise to fame narrative is not uncommon. Raised in Los Angeles, California, Straus has always been surrounded by music, spending the majority of her youth messing around with instruments in her dad’s studio. After attending the University of Southern California for one year, Straus dropped out and began to pursue a full-time music career. With a stage name that plays with gender boundaries, King Princess has become renowned for her unashamed references to female romance in her songs. One of her more popular songs, “Pussy Is God,” is undeniably about women. King Princess’ music is bold and thoughtful, and it’s no surprise that she has become so popular.

The singer has gained somewhat of a cult following, and individuals began to line up at the Fenway venue as early as 11 a.m. I was one of those deranged fans, arriving at 1:30 p.m. to secure my place in the front of the crowd. I quickly made friends with the people I was standing by. We chatted eagerly, finding that we had a lot in common besides our love for King Princess. Time flew by, and soon enough it was time to go inside.

Photo Credit: Max Farago

If you’ve ever been to House of Blues, you know how great a venue this place is. A three-story viewing area faces the stage, and twinkly lights line the walls. The place filled up rapidly, everyone anxious to see the beloved KP. The first opener, Girlpool, came out and performed a cute, but somewhat boring, setlist. King Princess is also known for having local drag queens perform before her shows. Boston was no exception, and queen Coleslaw made an appearance. She shook and shimmied to a couple of sexy songs, and the crowd ate it up.

When King Princess and her band took the stage, members of the audience shrieked in anticipation. Opening with a slow ballad that showcased her vocal range, I knew we were in for a good show. King Princess mixed up her setlist, performing songs on her new album as well as old classics that had everyone singing along. Dressed in bright pink pants and a crop top, KP commanded the stage. Multiple bras were thrown towards the singer, her sex appeal undeniable. King Princess not only displayed her vocal abilities but played several songs on the piano and guitar as well. I frequently found myself turning around to take in the massive crowd. Fans young and old faced at me, singing every lyric right back to KP. I felt comfortable in the diverse crowd, knowing this was a place where everyone could unapologetically be themselves.

Photo Credit: Abby Gross​

King Princess crushed all of my expectations. I left the venue feeling happy and content. I listened to her tunes as I made the trek back to West Campus, my headphones blaring. It shocked me that I had heard and seen this singer just minutes before, and here I was listening to her again through my headphones. After hearing the songs live, I felt a special pull to this singer. I have a feeling I will be listening to King Princess for a long time to come.

King Princess is just starting her Cheap Queen tour. You can stream her music here or follow her on Instagram at @kingprincess69.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby Gross is a sophomore at BU studying neuroscience! Shawty likes listening to music, being outside, eating dim sum, and hanging out with neat people.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.