tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Introduction to the Danish Concept of Hygge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Hygge (pronounced hue-guh) is a Danish concept that involves a collection of warm feelings created by a cozy environment and the presence of good company. It can be difficult to define the term in one sentence, as it is more about a collection of things that come together to create a cozy and inviting environment. Here are some steps that you can take to create hygge in this cold season!

1. Candles

Candles are a great way to create hygge. Just sit down on the couch with a good book and light a few candles, and you’ll be on your way to hygge! Lighting is a major part of hygge. Fluorescent lights are a major no for hygge. Creating a cozy space with candles and even a fireplace will have you feeling the hygge spirit in no time.

2. Blankets and Sweatpants

Comfort is key for hygge. Think fuzzy socks, sweatpants, and a pile of blankets and pillows. Creating a designated corner of the couch for hygge is essential. It is important to practice hygge in a stress and judgment-free zone, preferably at home. A tradition that is all about comfort and coziness can’t be too hard to follow, right?

3. Homemade food

The longer it takes to make the food by hand, the more hygge it is. Hygge foods tend to take the form of sweet treats and are best enjoyed alongside family and friends. Any food that is made with lots of conscious care is perfect for hygge!

4. Hot drinks

Whether it be hot chocolate, tea, or coffee, a hot drink is essential to enjoying hygge. I don’t think that anyone would say no to staying in sweatpants all day eating freshly made food and a hot drink!

5. Family and Friends

The ideal number of people for hygge is 3-4, although you could include more if you would like. Hygge is all about creating a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, and three or four people whose company you enjoy is a great way to practice hygge.

Hygge might seem like a strange concept at first, as a lot of the elements seem like basic things that people do on a daily basis. But this Danish concept is more than just laziness and eating food. It is about consciously creating a pleasant and inviting atmosphere in order to create a feeling of warmth and relaxation. It is a practice that is easy to pick up, and one that can help anyone appreciate the small things that make us happy!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jill is a Sophomore at Boston University. She is studying journalism and enjoys listening to music, yoga, traveling, and any activity that involves food!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.