This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every single one of us has a favorite song. We may turn it up at parties, or listen to it on repeat, or even show it to someone special. We may sing it at the top of our lungs in the shower, or blast it while driving along a dark road as the sun sets in the distant night sky.

No matter what mood I may be in, music somehow manages to lift me up and get me excited for what’s ahead. I often take music for granted, as it plays such a large role in my life that I sometimes forget about it altogether. Music is not only a representative of someone’s culture or personality, but it can also completely alter people’s moods and outlook.

Image Credit: Simon Noh

Whenever I’m having a bad day, I love to listen to songs that remind me of times when I was extremely happy. I am an avid user of Spotify, and I create playlists that suit all of my moods. I even make a playlist for each month of the year, which helps me reminisce about my experiences from that particular month.

Not everyone may love music as I do, but it is indisputable that it plays a large role in our lives, individuality, and culture. Whether you use music to dance, sing, wake up in the morning, or simply listen for pleasure, it has the ability to make any situation fun. Think about going to a party with no music, or the gym. Music can totally alter situations and make them go from boring or uncomfortable to exciting and enjoyable in a second. 

Image Credit: Malte Wingen

I began pondering the importance of music the other day, when I was walking to class. I was extremely fatigued and stressed because I had a midterm coming up. As it rained, all I wanted was to be in bed. However, as I put my Airpods in, one of my favorite songs started to play. All of a sudden, I felt re-energized. With a skip in my step, I felt ready to take on my day, as fond memories associated with the song I was listening too danced in my head. Music is one of life’s greatest gifts that often goes unappreciated. 

Image Credit: Marius Masalar

Interestingly enough, there is evidence to explain my dramatic mood change. Music can have an immense impact on human emotional processes. Studies have highlighted that music has the ability to regulate a wide range of both positive and negative emotions. According to Science Daily, fMRI scans show that music has a serious impact on human brain circuits, which happens to be most functional when someone is listening to their favorite song.

Although I sometimes take music for granted, I have grown to realize how powerful it can be. Just like other forms of art, music paints the colors of life and brings joy to not only our ears, but our souls. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Autumn is a junior studying film/television & journalism at Boston University. She is extremely passionate about writing & film, traveling, her family and friends, and telling stories.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.