This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Winter is upon us, and unless you live under a rock, you know that Boston saw about two feet of snowfall last week during its most recent bomb cyclone. With ice and slush still on the ground and more wintry weather on the way, it seems like a good time to discuss what to do when the going gets cold. So, here’s what I consider essential to any Boston winter survival kit.

A good coat

Of course, having a coat on hand in the winter is a bit of a no-brainer. However, I cannot stress enough how important it is to actually have a good coat. Sweatshirts, fleeces, and raincoats won’t do the trick — unless you plan on wearing them all at once (believe me, I’ve tried this). For optimal weather protection, I’d suggest choosing something waterproof and puffy. Furry hoods or linings are an amazing addition, and I personally feel that the longer a coat is, the better (that way, it can keep your legs warm too)! This is just a preference of mine, though, and shorter coats can work great, too.

GLOVES

Again, this isn’t exactly a revolutionary suggestion, but you’d be surprised how easy it is to forget about gloves when you’re bundling up for a trek through the snow. However, gloves are an absolutely vital part of any winter weather outfit, even on sunny days and clear nights. In Boston, the winter is raw, and the cold air will dry your hands to the point of cracking over the course of one long walk — trust me, I speak from experience. Luckily, gloves can limit this effect, so it’s a good idea to add them to your winter wardrobe.

ACTUAL SNOW BOOTS

Sorry guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your Docs are not snow boots. If you want to keep your feet dry and your toes un-frozen, I recommend finding a pair of truly waterproof boots. Even rain boots can be a better choice than Doc Martens, which I, unfortunately, find to be fair-weather friends. For extra warmth, thick boots with fur or fleece linings are ideal. Pairing these with long knit socks will double the insulation. And last but not least, look for boots with lots of traction, otherwise you may fall victim to the slippery slush that coats the sidewalks even days after the initial snowstorm.

DELICIOUS SNAckS

A full pantry, a stack of snacks, or something similar!

All of the above outerwear equipment is great for fighting off the winter weather, but the best way to stay cozy is to just stay inside! That’s why I’d recommend that you stock up on snacks. Doing so means that you won’t have to leave your room or apartment when the next blizzard hits. Pay attention to the weather forecast, and when heavy snow is predicted, hit the grocery store. If you’re looking for specific recommendations, I’d say you should look for anything warm — hot chocolate, tea, soup, ramen, or whatever else will keep you feeling comfy despite the frightful weather.

There you have it! These items are what I consider to be the components of a truly great winter survival kit. Of course, adding scarves, hats, earmuffs, masks, or ski goggles can be useful, too, but only if you really want to go above and beyond. Honestly, when I went out to explore bomb-cyclone Boston, I wore only what I described above in addition to my normal clothes, and I felt fine!

I’d also like to note that this list is based purely on my own opinions. If your Docs work for you, then go for it (although I promise you actual snow boots will work better). So however you decide to survive this winter, I wish you the best! Stay cozy, everyone!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Devan Colby is the senior editor and writing director at the Her Campus at BU chapter. She oversees all articles that the chapter publishes on the site, and occasionally writes some of her own. Outside of Her Campus, Devan is also a feature writer for The Daily Free Press, the independent student newspaper at Boston University. She has also interned with her local Nexstar-owned TV news station as a member of their digital team, where she helped produce content for the station's corresponding website. She is currently a junior at Boston University majoring in both journalism and political science. Writing is Devan's main pastime, and even when not working for a publication, she loves to write creatively. She is also a hobbyist visual artist with an interest in photojournalism. When she's not creating, she can be found going for runs around the city with friends or fawning over her quartet of houseplants.