body images 2019 11 16 983bd7463925fc311389802b6f821efdjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 16 983bd7463925fc311389802b6f821efdjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Celebrate Thanksgiving in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Spending Thanksgiving in Boston? Me too. For many of us, it’s going to be our first Thanksgiving away from home. At first, I wasn’t looking forward to it, but now I know that it’s going to be a great day! I’m someone who can always fall into the holiday spirit, so trust me on this. Here are eight COVID-friendly things to do this Thanksgiving weekend in Boston.

Take long walks

This one is especially for Thanksgiving Day. Boston is huge and there are walking paths no matter where you go. The esplanade is beautiful and quiet, the North End could end in a sweet treat, or a walk through Back Bay could bring you to the Boston Common or Public Garden for a gorgeous scene.

Take a friend with you or go by yourself and plug in your favorite holiday playlist. I recommend the Pentatonix Christmas Playlist if you’re a Christmas fanatic like I am! If you take a friend, it’d be a great opportunity to unplug and just enjoy the sights together. 

Zoom your family

This is a big one for me. There are no large family gatherings happening this year, but my immediate family (my parents, brother, & dog) will still be together. Since I’ll be the only one not with them, we decided that we will still be at the table together! I’m going to have my dinner right alongside them and make sure they know how grateful I am for them.

Get Thanksgiving dinner

There are so many options here! The dining halls on BU’s campus already have an amazing selection lined up for those with a dining plan, but it doesn’t end there. Boston Public Market has amazing to-go meals too, along with a bunch of other local restaurants. You’ll also have the freedom to eat whatever you want this holiday! Not a fan of turkey and stuffing? You can get pizza instead! It’s a win-win.

Host a small Friendsgiving

So maybe you’re in a different timezone than your family. But that’s okay too! Gather with your roommates or a very small group of friends and make dinner together! If you live in an apartment together that’s even better. But if you live alone don’t be afraid to ask around and grab dinner with a friend and eat it outside, socially distanced.

Go somewhere on Thanksgiving weekend

A ton of places are going to open to the public the days following Thanksgiving, but many of them take reservations in order to reduce capacity, so make sure to plan ahead. You could check out the MFA or Museum of Science, the latter of which will be starting to open up its Christmas exhibits. 

You could also check out a light show! There will be some at Franklin Park Zoo, Gillette Stadium, and Stone Zoo, just to name a few. Make sure if you go to these you wear a mask the entire time and stay with your group.

Have a holiday movie night

Gather some friends on Zoom and Teleparty (Netflix Party) your favorite holiday movie! Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, or anything else, you can watch a movie about anything with a group of friends.

Have a celebratory brunch

Similar to Thanksgiving dinner, a lot of brunch places will be more than happy to sponsor your post-Thanksgiving meals. Find a good one and take out some food to the park of your choosing. Make sure you get some hot chocolate too!

Write to your family

This one isn’t Boston-specific, but I plan on sending my family a letter before Thanksgiving that they can open the day of. I’m going to include little turkey cards, bracelets and just let them know that I’m so thankful for them and that I can’t wait to see them again! There’s no better way to feel connected to them, in my opinion.

Hopefully, these tips will help you find new ways to celebrate Thanksgiving if you find yourself staying in Boston this holiday season!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello! My name is Emma Neary and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Social Studies Education and Theatre Arts. I am very excited to write as a part of such a lovely and empowering group of girls.