This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I never really believe in things like numerology or astrology. Sure, it was fun checking how my day was going to be (I’m a Capricorn, for the record) and how I was going to meet my soulmate, but after a while, I realized that these predictions were super generic. I stopped checking my horoscope on the daily because I just didn’t believe in it anymore.

But one day, about a couple of months ago, I noticed a strange pattern: every time I checked the time on my phone, I kept seeing the same numbers: 11:11— once in the morning and once at night. I brushed it off as a coincidence, but when it kept showing up again and again, I decided to Google it on a wild whim, and that was how I stumbled headlong into the rabbit hole of numerology and angel numbers.

A lot of people believe that angel numbers, patterns of repeating numbers, such as 111 or 222, are signs from the universe that you are heading in the right direction. Each pattern represents a distinct form of spiritual guidance, whether that may be related to love, career, or life. Here is a brief summary of what I found so far, and assuming you’re just as crazy as I am, you might just find it useful the next time you see an odd pattern of numbers pop up in your life on repeat:

111

This is a wake-up call from the universe. The universe wants you to pause and look around at what’s happening and who is present in your life. It’s a positive sign that confirms that you’re on the right path. It can also signal that you need to keep a check on your thoughts, as you’re manifesting everything you’re thinking about. Keep thinking about things that truly make you happy and your goals going forward in life — if you give out positive energy to the universe, the universe gives it back!

222

This number pattern is often associated with relationships. If you keep seeing 222, the universe is telling you to pay attention to your current relationship, or to a potential partner present in your life. This is a sign that your relationship, or a potential relationship, is important and you need to pay attention to it. But 222 isn’t just talking about romantic relationships — it also represents relationships with yourself and the world around you. Give more energy to relationships that aren’t visible to the naked eye, such as your relationship with the divine source of energy, or if you’re religious, with God. 

333

333 represents balance and divinity — whether that may be external or internal. Externally, it may signal that you need to work on restoring a balance between your work life and personal life, or that you’re not giving enough energy to your own personal wellbeing. Internally, it could mean that you’re divided within yourself and need to realign your mind, body, and soul. If you stumble across this angel number after meditating or praying, it is a sign that the higher energy is with you, guiding you on your path and towards your goals.  

444

444 means that you are being protected by the Universe. In numerology, 4 represents home and family, and it is a sign to remember your roots. Call up your family and close friends and check on them. Pay attention to who comprises your inner circle, and whether they truly wish the best for you or if they are toxic and are holding you back. Another theory suggests that 444 represents financial luck. You may be on the way to becoming real lucky with your finances — hey, it’s another reason to buy that lip gloss you’ve always wanted in your purse!

555

If you keep seeing 555, it means that you are ready to make a change in your life. This angel number represents change and indicates that you are ready to take your life in a new direction. The Universe is telling you to be unafraid of making that change, whether it’s big or small, and that the change you’re thinking of implementing is a positive one in your life. So whatever you’ve been holding back on, go ahead and do it! There’s no better time than now to make positive changes in your life, especially now that you know that the Universe is on your side.

There are lots of variations on the meaning of these angel numbers, and some may argue that they don’t mean anything at all. And of course, it can also be interpreted as something fun and silly!

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you personally believe, and if you trust in messages from the higher power.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!  

Akhila is a junior studying Business Administration and Advertising at Boston University. When she isn't writing, she's busy learning new languages and taking pictures!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.