Life > Experiences

Grace’s Picks: Family Weekend Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Family weekend is quickly approaching, and the pressure is on. Is Mom on you about activities to do? Dad worried about needing a reservation? Grandparents already planning their meals, a week in advance?

Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with five must-do’s that your weekend visitors are sure to like. 

Gather (Seaport)

Looking to get off campus and explore a different area of the city? Seaport is a great place to start, with many innovative dining options and beautiful views of the harbor. 

Head to Gather one night for dinner. Gather is a contemporary New American restaurant serving up fun variations of New England staples. With its diverse menu, Gather is sure to appeal to all members of your party, with dishes ranging from fresh seafood to hearty salads.

My personal favorite is the lobster gnocchi, a delicious twist on a New England classic!

Pro tip: Skip dessert and walk over to TAMO, located at the Seaport Hotel. Enjoy innovative takes on some of your favorite desserts in a beautiful, cozy environment. 

Head of the Charles

One of Boston’s most anticipated events, the Head of the Charles Regatta will take place on Saturday, Oct. 22. You and your loved ones will have the opportunity to watch some of the country’s most skilled crew teams, including our own Boston University terriers! 

Events start as early as 7:45 a.m. and continue all day, with the championships beginning around 2 p.m.

Be sure to check out some of the best spots to enjoy the festivities including the boardwalk along the esplanade, the Eliot Bridge, or the Weld Exhibition, where you can enjoy the events, food, and other local fun!

Faneuil Hall

Faneuil Hall is a tourist classic for good reason! With various shops and restaurants, Faneuil Hall is a lively place brimming with Boston history.

Do some shopping, learn some history, and grab a bite to eat at one of the many food stalls within Quincy Market. Prefer a sit-down meal instead? Head a few blocks over to the Granary Tavern, a restaurant located in a historic grain mill that offers elevated takes on rustic classics. 

Ghosts & Gravestones Boston

Looking to immerse your loved ones in Boston’s rich history, but not a fan of the typical trolley tours? Try out Ghosts & Gravestones Boston, an after-dark historical tour of some of the city’s most haunted sites.

The perfect activity for a fall evening in October, Ghosts & Gravestones is sure to wow your loved ones and open your eyes to Boston’s spooky side. 

Pro tip: Dress comfy and bring a thermos with a warm, fall beverage to keep you cozy! 

Commonwealth Avenue

Last but certainly not least, take the time to show your loved ones around our beautiful campus!

Family weekend is a great chance to show friends and family where you go to class, your favorite study spot, and the beauty that our campus has to offer.

Walk along Bay State Road and enjoy the fall foliage and historic brownstones, catch some sun on the BU Beach, and make a pit stop at the BU Bookstore to get everyone outfitted in BU gear. 

Family weekend is the perfect time to unwind, spend time with those you love, and feel proud of yourself for all you have accomplished so far this semester.

Hopefully, you are able to enjoy some of the spots above with those you love most!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace Clyde is a sophomore writer for HerCampus Boston University. She covers lifestyle recommendations, specifically Boston travel and discovery content. Grace is an Education and Human Development major pursuing a minor in Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Outside of HerCampus Grace has worked in various educational settings including roles as a paraeducator at an elementary school, and teacher at a childcare center. In her free time Grace enjoy's reading, exploring new spots around the city, and working out, particularly participating in indoor cycling classes. She is currently pursuing a position as an indoor cycling instructor.