nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Good Trouble—The Show That Makes Adulting Less Scary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Even though Good Trouble has aired only five episodes of their pilot season, the new Freeform series has a 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has amassed a dedicated following. The show’s fast popularity definitely has something to do with the fact that it’s is a spinoff of Freeform’s popular The Fosters, which ran for five seasons. But there are so many other reasons viewers are flocking to Good Trouble. Here’s why you should too!

Besides the fact that I was an avid fan of The Fosters since it began airing (I was thrilled when Freeform announced a spinoff), my favorite part of the spinoff show is how they present post-grad life. Oftentimes in teen dramas, including The Fosters, the series ends when the characters head off to college and the actors get too old to pull off being high schoolers anymore. These endings allude to the idea that life after high school is a Happily Ever After when we all know it isn’t that simple.

Good Trouble continues the plotline of Callie and Mariana, adopted sisters who just finished law school and engineering school and decide to move into a loft in Los Angeles together. Obviously, their lives aren’t perfect and they come face-to-face with realistic adulting problems. Mariana tackles sexism in the workplace and Callie must learn how to balance her clerkship work and social life – and those are only a glimpse at the problems they face.

Although Good Trouble shows how hard adulting can really be, it also provides assurance that it’s not supposed to be easy and your days of fun have not ended. This message is so important because as college students, we constantly feel the looming threat of real adulting being only a couple of years away. Good Trouble reminds us that post-grad life isn’t supposed to be perfect.

Other reasons to watch and love this show include the complicated yet deep storyline topics. Much like its parent show, the plotlines of Good Trouble discuss real-world social issues, such as police brutality, racism, bisexuality, and body positivity.

Another amazing quality of the show that we often overlook in teen television is its cinematography. Every scene incorporates interesting shots and in almost every episode we get a snippet of the ending before we see how the characters got there. These techniques make Good Trouble into a mature, fresh take on the typical TV drama.

Not to mention, the soundtrack of every episode is amazing and the show even has its own Spotify playlist. The Good Trouble Instagram has cool content as well, always posting videos of the actors actually discussing the social issues their show deals with.

What’s not to love? This new Freeform show has everything going for it – so watch it! If you do, you’ll probably catch cameos from the other actors from The Fosters (remember Noah Centineo’s roots, everyone)!

You can stream Good Trouble for free on Hulu and Freeform.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.