Go Get ‘Em, Girl—Tzurit Or and Tatte Are Taking Over Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re walking through nearly any neighborhood in Boston, chances are you’ll pass a Tatte Bakery. If you’re browsing people’s Instagram stories, at least one of them is bound to feature one of their delicious baked goods. Whether you’ve been in this city for a few months or a few years, you know what Tatte is and this intro is probably making you crave it right now. Tatte’s popularity in Massachusetts and abroad is not just because of its amazing dishes, but also due to the dedication of founder Tzurit Or.

In the summer of 2007, Tzurit went from farmers market to farmers market selling her baked goods and her passion for food with others. As a self-taught pastry chef, her mission has been to share her Israeli culture through creations inspired by her mother and other master chef females in her family. From the infamous shakshuka to their housemade bagels, dishes at Tatte are examples of the fusion food that Tzurit wanted to bring to the cafe scene.

After a successful summer, Tzurit decided to combine her communications major knowledge with her passion for food to open up the first established Tatte. Since opening up the first location in Brookline, Tzurit has expanded the Tatte love all over Boston with 12 locations (and many more to come). Though this city is filled to the brim with trendy food places ripe for the brunching, Tzurit and her Tatte team’s ability to bring new creations together with faithful favorites is what has managed to set this cafe apart from all others.

I believe that Tatte has become a major Boston staple in a relatively short amount of time because of the attention to detail that goes into each experience you have there. Every latte is topped with coffee art from the thoughtful baristas. Each croissant in the baked goods line is as perfect as anything gets, with a tempting golden brown finish to the flaky layers. Every staff member seems just as passionate as their customers about the food they’re serving.

And though Tzurit’s business is expanding to well over 10 locations, her love for the bakery is unwavering. On her Instagram, you can see her visiting most Tatte stores each day, making sure to tease her followers with a post of the decadent treats they are serving up. Her social media accounts also reveal her desire for more knowledge of baking. From trips to Tel Aviv and Paris among other food hubs of the world to posts about her test kitchen’s latest fare, Tzurit is constantly changing the game while keeping loyal customers satisfied.

Though we are constantly pressured to pursue jobs conforming to our undergraduate studies, stories like Tzurit and Tatte’s show us that we can apply our education to our passions for a dream career.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.