samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

A Glimpse Into My Summer Internship With Elizabeth Warren

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The last place I expected myself to end up in the summer of 2019 was a campaign office. After a series of summer opportunity woes that didn’t pan out the way I hoped, I returned begrudgingly back to New Hampshire, disillusioned and depressed. Not willing to give up, I applied to be apart of Elizabeth Warren’s campaign by chance after seeing her website had open positions for internships and volunteer fellowships. After a few interview phone calls and exchanged emails, I found myself in Manchester, New Hampshire training to be the next future leader and organizer for her campaign and for the Democratic Party.

It’s actually in New Hampshire’s state constitution for it to be the first primary state in the nation, making it a hotspot for politicians and presidential-hopefuls to campaign and kiss babies. It’s not usual for high-profile candidates to come to New Hampshire several times, making themselves accessible for ordinary folks, open to questions and selfies.

I could have applied for any Democratic candidates summer team, but I chose Elizabeth Warren. I believe Warren is the most authentic, passionate person running for the nomination right now. She was a special education teacher and Harvard Law Professor before she became Massachusetts Senator in 2012. With her educational background, she embodies empathy and genuine concern for her constituents. And, she gives the best hugs!

She’s got a plan for everything and everyone, from giving rural Americans accessible broadband internet to canceling student loan debt. Her policy expertise is something I, like millions of other Americans, admire and can’t get enough of. From June to August, I worked full-time in my hometown of Nashua, New Hampshire, tirelessly knocking on doors in rain or shine to make sure this woman becomes the next President of the United States.

The experiences and knowledge I gained from my internship are priceless. I have a new appreciation for my state and city. In the 2018 midterm elections, New Hampshire flipped all the open seats in Nashua, the second biggest city in the state, BLUE! Excluding the governorship, New Hampshire’s state legislature has a Democratic-majority for the first time since 2012.

I’ve also learned so much from my incredibly smart co-workers ranging from D.C to Boston. These like-minded students are the next leaders in the political world from our generation, and I’m privileged to have been working side by side with them.

My time with the campaign isn’t over. There is still work to be done until the first vote is cast in the Iowa Caucus on February 3rd and then on. My support and efforts have now shifted to Students for Warren which you can find on your college campus or at BU! Warren has my vote, and we will persist!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Niya Doyle is a sophomore at Boston University studying Public Relations and minoring in International Relations. Her hobbies include advocating for civic engagement among young people, writing poetry, and waiting for the new Animal Crossing game to come out.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.