This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Not only are bangs a great way to switch up your look, but they are also going to be a big hair trend of 2019.

If you’re thinking of getting bangs, make sure to check out the tips below to prevent yourself from ending up with a botched hairdo.

1. Do Research!

Photo Credit: Elea Blake Cosmetics

There are so many different types of bangs, so it’s important that you understand the best style for you. Everyone has a different face shape; the type of bangs you get will either flatter that shape, or just look awkward with it. Above is an infographic that shows the different face shapes you can use as a reference.

Everyone has different hair types as well. There are bangs that work better for specific hair types – take the time to learn which face shape and hair type you have, and which bang style would work best for you.

2. Do You Have the Time?

Bangs are a commitment. They take a lot of time to style and to care for. Bangs usually get greasier faster since they are shorter and also rest on your face, which produces grease. This means that they need to be washed more often. I personally wash my bangs every day while I wash the rest of my hair every other day. You may need to learn the art of washing your bangs in the sink to keep up with maintaining them. Also, bangs take time and effort to style. Depending on the type of bangs you have, you will have to dedicate a certiain amount of time in your daily beauty routine to style them. Most of the time, it will include blow drying and styling with some product.

3. Do You Have the Money?

Bangs need to be styled! You don’t need the most expensive products to have cute bangs, but the price can add up with the number of products you use. Also, bangs grow fast. You’ll have frequent visits to the hair salon to get a trim. You of course have the option of trimming your bangs yourself, but see below why that’s not a good idea. The cost of going to the salon for trims will also add up. In general, the cost of maintaining bangs will be expensive.

4. Do Not Cut Your Own Bangs!

There are tons of videos on how to cut bangs yourself. Do not do it. Cutting bangs requires a lot of technical skills, although it may not seem like it. There are so many ways you can make a mistake, from cutting it too short to cutting it unevenly. If you are not a trained hair stylist, cutting bangs yourself will most likely result in a botched hairstyle. It may be more expensive to go to a hair salon, but it is really worth it. Trust me.

5. Bangs Require Skincare

Bangs rest on your face, so the oil produced by your skin and the oil produced by your hair will most likely clog your pores. It is important to have a good skincare routine to prevent excess acne. Also, depending on the bangs you get, you will be able to reduce the amount of makeup you wear. For example, blunt bangs cover the forehead which means you don’t have to wear makeup on your forehead. In any case, it is important to frequently clean your face to reduce the buildup of oil.

Now that you understand everything about bangs, go to a hair salon and get a stylish new do! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.