This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Eating well is essential to living well. For many college students, wholesome meals become a tedious part of busy schedules, and students are forced to eat quick meals that provide little nutritional value. With midterms, research papers, and final exams looming in already-stressful student agendas, it is easy to feel mentally overwhelmed. Luckily, there are many delicious foods students can add into their diets that can help stimulate their brain functions, memory, and even help achieve a better night’s sleep.  Ditch the chips and instead, try some of these delectable and beneficial foods for thought– they pack more punch than you might expect.

1.  Walnuts

Not only do walnuts work wonders for your brain, this nut even looks like a brain! Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, this nut is the essential snack for college students. Helping keep the brain fluid flexible, the human brain needs omega-3s to properly function. This nut also seems to increase levels of melatonin in the body, which can help sleep-deprived college students get the sleep they often lack. Walnuts are a great late-night snack!

2.  Berries

Studies have proven blueberries and strawberries to be another extremely nutritious brain food. Harvard University conducted a study that revealed that “eating berries [can] stave off cognitive decline and memory loss” CBS News says in an online article. With a food that boosts cognition, students can have a delicious snack that will help increase thinking, memory, and reasoning– all imperative processes to active student minds.

3.  Avocado

Avocado is not only full of flat-belly omega-3 fatty acids, but it is also abundant with nutrients that can improve cognition and concentration–something that every colegiette strives to improve! Avocados also have the super-vitamin folate. Folate deficiency can lead to many cognitive illnesses such as Alzheimer’s, so adding this vitamin in your diet through scrumptious avocado is a great way to insure you’re keeping your brain healthy-and avocados can be incorporated into breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

4. Green Tea

Wake up and smell the… green tea? This tea is sure to keep you awake and focused, heart-healthy and and cognitively refreshed. Recent studies have shown that green tea can help boost memory, having chemical properties that help promote the generation of brain cells. This super-tea can therefore increase individual’s memory and spatial learning, so substitute your normal cup of coffee for a cup of delicious green tea and honey.

5.  Dark Chocolate

The food you were so desperately hoping would make an appearance on this list of brain foods finally did; dark chocolate is another antioxidant-rich super food. Small amounts of dark chocolate very healthy of your body, and it’s natural source of caffeine can also stimulate your mental acuity dexterity. This is your permission to indulge– your tastebuds and your brain will thank you.  

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.