Five Movies to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A great thing about living on Commonwealth Avenue is that we literally live about 5-10 minutes (depending on where you live) from Fenway, and by extension, Regal Fenway. If you’re looking for a relaxing night out, look no further than Regal.

It’s surrounded by great places to eat like Panera Bread or Chipotle. If you’re in the mood to save some extra dollars, you can definitely walk to Shaw’s grocery store to pick up some cheap snack and drinks too.   

At this point, you’re ready to watch the movie. Make sure you pick up a discounted student movie ticket from the Activities Office on the second floor of the GSU, in front of Metcalf Hall.

If you’re lost as to which movie to watch, look no further. Here are a few suggestions to kick-start your movie adventures:

The Maze Runner

This movie is based off the popular book with the same title by James Dashner. If you’re a fan of the whole post-apocalyptic society craze that’s been taking over movies, this is definitely a movie you should check out.

The story itself is about a 16-year-old boy named Thomas played by the ever-so-cute Dylan O’Brien (The First Time, Teen Wolf). As the title suggests, he has to navigate through a maze with a group of people, which sounds simple in theory, but of course there are major complications such as the fact that Thomas doesn’t remember anything about who he is.

If you enjoyed watching Divergent, I would definitely go see this movie!

Guardians of the Galaxy

If you’re a fan of Marvel, this is one movie you definitely need to watch. This movie is a bit more light-hearted than others in the franchise.

Starring Chris Pratt (Parks and Rec) and Zoe Saldana (Star Trek, Avatar), this all-star cast delivers a solid performance in a movie essentially about a few misfits coming together to literally become guardians of the galaxy.

The comedic timing and 60s-70s soundtrack of this movie alone make it worth it watching. Although the trailer may look a little silly, the movie is so much more than that.

The Giver

For those of you that read “The Giver” by Lois Lowry back in the day, here’s a treat for you. They’ve finally made a movie to accompany the incredibly popular novel.

This movie, also with a star-studded cast including Jeff Bridges (True Grit, Tron) and Meryl Streep (does she need an explanation?), shows us a reality in which people live in a utopia. Of course, things aren’t what they seem when Jonas, played by Brenton Thwaites (Oculus, Maleficient), starts realizing that things aren’t as perfect as they seem.

For fans of movies like the Hunger Games or Divergent, this is a great watch.

A Walk Among the Tombstones

This movie is also based on a crime novel with the same name.

Starring Liam Neeson (Les Misérables, Taken series), the movie is about an unlicensed private investigator and former cop named Matt Scudder who becomes a hired killer. He gets more than what he bargained for when he looks for the killers of his client’s wife.

Gone Girl

Here’s a movie that will be out soon on October 3rd.

The movie is about the disappearance of Amy, wife to Nick Dunne, played by Ben Affleck (Argo). As questions start to arise about their marriage and whether it really was picture perfect, Dunne must race to defend himself against the onslaught of beliefs that he is his wife’s killer.

Based off the book with the same name by Gillian Flynn, the movie is sure to be a hit.

If you haven’t already, you should definitely take advantage of the proximity of the theater and have a relaxing night out with friends. They’re sure to get excited about these options with you!