5 Ways To Use Thanksgiving Leftovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Great food is one of the best parts of Thanksgiving. With some creativity, you can make your tasty dishes last for more than one night. If you want to make your Thanksgiving leftovers count, here are a few easy recipes!

Green Chile Turkey Enchiladas

More likely than not, turkey will be number one on the list of leftovers that keep on giving. One of my family’s favorite ways to use up leftover turkey is to shred it and roll it up into green chile enchiladas.

This recipe calls for Anaheim peppers to be roasted before they are blended into the sauce, which adds a delicious smoky flavor. Store bought salsa verde can also be substituted for the home-roasted chiles to save time, and is just as delicious. 

Turkey Pot Pie

This turkey pot pie is another one of my family’s favorite post-Thanksgiving meals. This recipe from Bon Appetit is perfect for those trying to use up all of their leftovers in a single dish.

Along with turkey, this pot pie can use a variety of vegetables from your Thanksgiving table, including Brussels sprouts, green beans, and sweet potatoes. Finally, leftover pie crust (either store-bought or homemade), is spread over the top of the pie. With a side of mashed potatoes and a bit of cranberry sauce on top, this pot pie is the perfect cozy – and easy – recipe.

Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich

Personally, I find the yearly leftovers sandwich I make for lunch the day after Thanksgiving even more delicious than the Thursday feast itself.

I’m sure everyone has made their own version of this classic leftovers-vehicle at least once in their lives, but this New York Times recipe provides a slightly elevated version to try. I personally recommend “breading” slices of turkey with a layer of cranberry sauce and stuffing before adding the meat into the sandwich. 

Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
Pumpkin Pie Top Down Braided Crust
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

If the pumpkin pie in your house manages to last more than 24 hours, this recipe provides a creative way to make the iconic Thanksgiving dessert into a delicious drink.

If you don’t have pie on hand, an alternative version calls for graham crackers, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin puree. This milkshake would be delicious with apple, pecan, or chocolate cream pie as well!

Cranberry Cheesecake

These mini cranberry cheesecakes combine cranberry sauce’s perfect balance of sweet and tart with the creamy richness of a classic cheesecake.

The cranberry sauce is not only swirled into the batter of the mini cakes, but also dolloped on top for additional flavor. Additionally, their bite-sized presentation is ideal finger food for holiday parties throughout December!

What is your favorite way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby Voge is a member of the writing team at Her Campus BU. This is her first semester with HCBU. She is a junior transfer student originally from Princeton, NJ, majoring in journalism. Her favorite topics to cover are movies, music, history, and everything else pop culture! Ruby transferred from American University after her freshman year, where she started out as a sociology major. Outside of HerCampus, Ruby is a features writer for the Daily Free Press, an entertainment writer for WTBU news, a music writer for The BU Buzz, and a DJ in Training for the WTBU show 2Reel. In her free time, Ruby loves baking, collecting Joni Mitchell records, writing reviews on Letterboxd, and the New York Times mini crossword. She is an expert on espresso drinks, Hugh Grant rom-coms, and buying more books than she has time to read. Her favorite spots in the BU area are Clear Flour bakery in Brookline and the Coolidge Corner Theatre.