Wellness

Your New Favorite Creamy Mac and Cheese Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

“Someone, please make mac and cheese” desperately read a comment on the Facebook event page for a Friendsgiving potluck I was going to go to. I hesitated for a moment, as I had never made mac and cheese from scratch before. But I had no idea what to bring anyway being the indecisive person I am (any Geminis out there that feel me?), so I decided to take the bullet and go for it.

On the day of the potluck, I nervously brought in my mac and cheese, cradling it in a big blue Ikea bag. “I hope it’s not too mushy,” I thought to myself as I cautiously put it at the end of the table next to the green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. “What if no one likes it? I don’t want to deal with leftovers.”

Soon, it was time to dig in. We all got in line and as I came up to the table, half of the mac and cheese was already gone! I let out a sigh of relief as I scooped a bit onto my plate. No need to worry about leftovers now! Give this recipe, adapted from joyfoodsunshine, a shot if you’re looking for a good homemade bowl of mac and cheese.

Ingredients: 

1 16 oz box of pasta 

4 tablespoons of butter 

4 tablespoons of flour 

½ teaspoon of salt 

3 teaspoons of garlic powder 

2 cups of milk 

½ cup of heavy cream 

4 ½  cups of shredded cheese (It can be any kind of cheese but I personally like a combination of the Mexican blend and pepper jack)

(reserve ½ cup for sprinkling on top of the mac and cheese)

Any toppings (bacon, jalapeño peppers, panko bread crumbs, etc.) 

Instructions:

1. In a small pot, pour in the pasta and cook as instructed on the box. 
  2. Mix together the flour, garlic powder, and 
  3. In a separate, bigger pot/pan, heat up the pot/pan and add the butter in until it melts. Once it melts, whisk in the flour mixture. Continue whisking until it turns brown. 
  4. Pour in milk and whisk until smooth. 
  5. Whisk in heavy cream until smooth.
  6. Allow the mixture to cook on medium low heat until the mixture is thick enough to stick to the back of a spatula. Don’t let it boil though! 
  7. Once it is thick enough, reduce the heat and add in 2 cups of the cheese. Whisk until smooth and then add the other 2 cups of cheese. Whisk again until smooth and all the cheese is melted. Adjust the taste here if more salt/seasoning is needed. 
  8. Stir in the cooked pasta and some of the pasta water. 
  9. Put the cooked pasta into a pan and sprinkle on the ½ cup of cheese as well as any toppings (I really recommend jalapeño peppers!). Put into a preheated oven at 375 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. 
  10. Dish out and serve!! 

Make this for your next holiday potluck or a pick me up for finals! :)

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is currently a junior at Boston University studying English and English Education. In addition to her love for reading and writing, she has an unhealthy obsession with cute desserts and graphic tee shirts. When she's not typing away on her laptop, you can find her cafe hunting, bopping to music, or doodling.