Cheap Ways to Maintain Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s easy to put self-care on the back-burner when assignments start to pile up and with exams looming. The second semester starts when the weather is cold and all you want to do is lie in bed, but it’s important to remember to take care of yourself. Here are my tips for making sure you practice self-care in ways that won’t break the bank.

1. Skincare

A proper skin care routine can really help you in the simplest of ways.  Nobody likes unwanted pimples or dry patches on their skin.  Investing in a good exfoliator, moisturizer, face mask, and a facial cleanser can help improve your skin.  Acne, dullness, dry patches, and big pores will disappear if you have a good skincare routine.  CVS, Walmart, and Walgreens have $1 to $5 face masks, Ulta Beauty carries a wide variety of skin care including Mario Badescu, which is an animal-cruelty free skin care line for a cheap price.  Neutrogena is also an affordable skincare brand that provides a wide selection of various products to pamper your skin.  Depending on how dry or oily you might be, use these products with discretion, however, I firmly believe moisturizing and cleansing your skin daily is vital.  

2. Water, Water, Water!

Drinking water can help clear your skin, give you more energy, and help you lose weight.  I’ve recently been on a kick of trying to drink a gallon of water per day, but most people should aim to drink at least half a gallon.  The best part about water is that it’s free—Boston University has reusable water stations scattered around campus buildings. Try not to buy water bottles because we love the earth, instead invest in a handy reusable water bottle that you can bring to class or the gym.  

3. Have Confidence.

The only thing you can get for free is confidence. Everyone gets down on themselves every now and then, but the important thing to remember is that the one bad moment you’re going through will pass on to something better.  Some great ways to keep your spirits high is to write beautiful or inspirational quotes and hang them around your room or post them to your bathroom mirror. Reading self-help books also come in handy and can help deter any bad feelings before they hit you with full force.

4. Go Outside.

Being outside is a major stress reliever.  It can help clear your head without really needing to do anything.  Whether you want to sit on the BU beach or walk around Copley Square, having time by yourself outside can help improve your mood and your outlook on life.  

5. Let Your Inner Child Out To Play.

You don’t have to have your life together all the time.  It’s important to show your fun side, let your hair down, and run wild. Playing silly children’s games, watching cartoons, playing on the swings at a playground, and even sledding can help relieve any tension you’re feeling.  As a senior who is graduating this May and has no plans after college, it’s easy to become stressed, scared, mean, and emotional.  However, if you take a weekend to yourself to spend most of it outside and playing around, you will become less stressed in minutes.

Taking care of yourself can sometimes be a really hard thing to do.  We always get wrapped up in our semester and feeling like we’re drowning in homework and exams.  If you follow these steps or even if you choose to only do some of them, you’re overall attitude and emotions will become a lot more balanced and you will have a successful spring semester.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.