The Lalacheese Plate
The Lalacheese Plate
Her Campus Media

Charcuterie 101: Five Reasons Why Charcuterie Boards Are Worth The Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

From chips and dip to hors d’oeuvres, there are many different types of foods you can choose for your next function. But after reading this article, the only thing you’ll want to dig into is a charcuterie board. There are many reasons why charcuterie boards hold a special place in my heart but here are five that will convert you into as big of a charcuterie fan as me. 

It’s Easy to Make 

Unlike most recipes, the charcuterie board is all about preparation. Since all the ingredients are premade and store-bought, all the hostess needs to do is display all of the delectable food items on a plate. It saves some stress as you don’t need to worry about burning or overcooking ingredients. 

It’s a People Pleaser

The main selling point of charcuterie boards is how there is always something for everyone. The large variety of crackers, cheeses, and meats means that even if someone doesn’t like everything on the board, they are sure to like something. This is especially helpful for people with dietary restrictions and picky eaters, though allergies should be accounted for to prevent cross-contamination. 

It’s Insta Worthy

Not only are charcuterie boards delicious as a party appetizer, but they are also pretty to look at. Whether you choose to go all out or prefer a minimalist design, charcuterie boards always add an aesthetic touch to the party’s food display and are incredibly photogenic. 

It’s Versatile

The basic charcuterie is centered around deli meats, cheeses, and crackers, but you can definitely mix it up and use some creativity to create new charcuterie boards for every occasion.  For example, for a Spooktober movie date, integrate some fall flavors like pumpkin butter, squash, and pomegranate. Or, for a sweet twist, make a dessert charcuterie board with all of your favorite cookies, brownies, and candies. 

It’s Fun to Eat

One of the main selling points of charcuterie boards is that guests can DIY their perfect bite by mixing and matching different flavors and textures. This process of experimenting and trying new combinations acts as a source of entertainment on its own. You’ll never have to worry about your guests being bored. 

Charcuterie boards are truly worth trying out, and I hope you will end up loving them as much as I do. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Cindy is a sophomore at BU, studying biology and computer science. In her free time, when she's not reading and writing HC articles, she is probably eating sushi and rewatching the Harry Potter movies for the 100th time. She also likes to keep active through hiking, practicing yoga, and playing tennis. Her life goal is to become a polyglot but so far, she's only fluent in two languages and barely has Dora the Explorer proficiency in the third.