Life > Experiences

Bridging the Gap: Being a Good Friend, Even Through Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Life is tough right now. Every single day, the world becomes increasingly overwhelming, as COVID-19 continues to spread throughout the United States, making it harder and harder for us to visit our loved ones. Like many other people, I’ve felt the pain of missing my friends. How can we spread love when we can’t even get within six feet of each other (much less fly across the country to see each other)? 

The pandemic has been isolating for us all, and I know that I’ve felt fear about losing my friends. If you’ve felt similarly, know that you aren’t alone and that there’s always something you can do about it. Human connection is an essential part of life, and you can make a difference in your own life (and in someone else’s). 

You may be feeling like your friends have forgotten about you, but did you ever consider that they might be experiencing the same worry? It’s time we all take a deep breath and put ourselves in our friends’ shoes. Take the time to make the first move and reach out to them. It’ll be the best thing you’ve done all week, I promise. Read on for a list of ways you can share some socially-distanced love with your friends.

Send Them a Letter

This is, by far, my favorite way of showing people just how much I love them. A letter is so simple, yet so effective. Write them an update on your life, draw them a funny picture, or make a list of everything you appreciate about your friendship. Whatever you decide to include, know that it will be appreciated. Letters are very rarely sent these days, and taking that extra bit of time to send them a handwritten sign of your friendship will bring a whole lot of light to their days.

Deliver Some Treats

Whether it be in person or from afar, everybody loves to get a treat delivered to their home. If you have access to a kitchen, you can bake your bestie one of their favorite snacks and leave it at their doorstep (or meet them outside and deliver it with a mask on)! Do your friends live across the country? Do some research on bakeries around them and have a treat delivered to their doorstep through Uber Eats or Grubhub. You’ll be supporting local businesses while bridging the gap with your friends.

Mail Them Something That They’ll Love

A little something in the mail can always brighten up a bad time. This gift doesn’t have to be expensive at all. Some of my favorite things to send my friends are holiday-themed fuzzy socks from Target, inexpensive stuffed animals (because who doesn’t need someone to cuddle with right now?), or a good read! The tiniest gift can show someone that you’re thinking of them.

Send Them Memes

This one is probably something you already do, but it doesn’t hurt to have a reminder. When I see something online that reminds me of my friend (whether it be a meme, recipe, or cute picture), I send it to them. Yes, it may feel awkward to spam them with texts, but at least you’re sending them something that will make them smile. Our generation has become very focused on the “who texts first” conundrum, and that should stop now. Spam your friends with funny memes; I promise they’ll be grateful for it.

Schedule a Zoom Game Night

This one is perfect if you want to get all of your friends “together” online for a group hangout. There are tons of games you can play online with friends. A few of my favorites? Among Us and anything on jackbox.tv; they’re versatile, easy, and fun! A Zoom game night is simple, fun, and welcoming to all, which is perfect for when you want all of your friends to mingle.

Don’t be afraid to reach out to your friends and let them know that you’re thinking of them, even if you haven’t talked to them in months. In the craziness of 2020, spreading love is the most important thing to do!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Amille is a senior at Boston University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English. Her passions include travel, cooking, and creative writing; when she isn't testing new recipes and working on her first novel, she's spending time with pets and making memories with family.