This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Boston may be one of America’s most walkable cities, but the MBTA is definitely a convenient way to get around Boston. While walking could be used as your primary form of transportation if you are spending the majority of your time in one neighborhood, using the T is definitely necessary to get from one part of Boston to another. 

Photo Credit: MBTA

If you are paying with cash, the local bus is $2 and the subway is $2.90. With a Charlie Card, the local bus is $1.70 and the subway is $2.40. If you are using the T at least twice a day, it is more cost-effective to purchase a monthly link pass for $90. Some universities in Boston even offer MBTA semester passes at a reduced cost. 

While $90 a month may seem high for a college student, it is definitely more affordable than using ride-share apps like Uber or Lyft. Even if you use the carpool options on Uber and Lyft, the ride costs add up quite quickly, especially during peak hours. 

Photo Credit: WBUR

The MBTA pass is definitely worth it for students who live off-campus and use the T as their main form of transportation. If you live too far from campus, where the mere thought of walking is gruesome, it might be worth it to invest in a monthly or semester plan. 

The pass is also perfect for students who live on campus, but have off-campus obligations (like jobs, volunteering, etc.) that require them to go off campus daily. Using the T is much more convenient than walking if you are traveling to a different part of Boston.

Photo Credit: WGBH

Even if you live on-campus, it might still be worth it to invest in a semester or monthly MBTA pass. It makes the distance from one end of campus to the other much less dreadful. It also makes you much more inclined to explore different areas of Boston that wouldn’t be as accessible without public transportation. 

The T is the easiest way to travel around Boston. While the numerous amount of delays can get annoying, riding the T makes you feel like an actual Bostonian and is definitely the most efficient and cost-effective way to travel in the city.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.