body images 2019 11 17 food salad healthy vegetablesjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 17 food salad healthy vegetablesjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best BU Dining Hall Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dining halls get a bad rap. A rap so bad, it’s surprising a sub-genre of “anti-dining hall food” comedy hasn’t materialized in the same vein as airplane food slander. No matter what college you’re at, ask any student for the best/worst dichotomy of places to eat and they’ll have an answer on the spot. 

In the short time I’ve been on the BU Campus, three popular pieces of advice have been to go to Raising Cane’s, don’t go to Warren dining hall, and go to off-campus restaurants. Being on a college budget and living a healthy ways-away from West Campus, this advice proved to be a non-starter. Despite the stereotypes, dining halls are convenient, have good food, and give you a bang for your buck. In the interest of fairness and defense of the dining hall, here are some underrated and unappreciated meals at BU you need to try.

Garlic Chicken and Sweet Potatoes from Granby*

Hearty and just plain delicious, this classic combo is the perfect choice for when you’re craving the taste of a family Thanksgiving, but lack the ability to cook one yourself. The chicken is skillfully seasoned, and the sweet potatoes are nicely roasted so you can get a great combo of protein and vegetables in one bite. Great to fuel up for working out, or savor the meal to wind down a long day.

*Granby Commons, aka BU Hillel (located at 213 Bay State Road) is the University’s center for kosher dining, available to all students. Located on the third floor of BU Hillel, here you can find the closest option to a home-cooked meal when the fifth night in a row of pizza is unacceptable. Bonus features include a friendly staff and a beautiful spot to sit and see the last rays of the sunset slip through their glass walls.

Dessert Pairing: Snickerdoodle Cookie

Portobello Burger from Marciano 

A plant-based diet is not a requirement to enjoy this meat-alternative. A commercially shiny bun tops off this chewy delight. The versatility of mushrooms and the toppings lends themselves well to the burger, which doesn’t need to imitate Shack Shake’s deep-fried + cheese recipe. Good for a grab-and-go back to studying, or a lighter alternative to fast-food. 

Dessert Pairing: Strawberry Parfait

Margherita Pizza (Basil, Tomato, and Mozzarella) from Marciano or Warren

Among the rotating selection of pizzas, the Margherita pizza’s simplicity sets itself apart from the rest. Basil, tomato, and mozzarella give a classic Italian style to the dish. The Neapolitan twist will hopefully remind you why your dining plan purchase was well spent, instead of daydreaming about your hometown pizza place. Bring your friends some slices at a socially distanced hang out on the BU Beach, and no one’s complaining. 

Dessert Pairing: Vegan Rice Pudding

Buffalo Mac ‘n’ Cheese from Marciano

Hot sauce makes any meal a little happier, especially true for the Buffalo Mac ‘n’ Cheese. Best described as deconstructed Buffalo chicken dip, if you’ve ever been to a tailgate or dip party, this rich meal will take you back to the days of 10+ person gatherings. Pick it up for a small celebration or anytime you’re in the mood. 

Dessert Pairing: Double Chocolate Brownie

Next time you’re in a desperate need of a pick-me-up but don’t want to spend extra money, try some of these picks!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.