you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Taking on Fashion Week: Campus Celeb Ashli Molina

Have you ever dreamed of going to New York Fashion Week? Walking the red carpet, watching the shows, getting a backstage view: it would be any girls dream. Well it became a reality for one Boston University student. Ashli Molina, sophomore in the College of Communication, interned at New York Fashion Week this past season and had the time of her life.

Fashion and journalism were always main priorities to Ashli. While working at her internship this summer at The Miami New Times, she realized she should try to intern at fashion week. She easily landed an internship online for “The Global Girl,” a personal style and lifestyle blogger who is well known on the west coast.

Ashli packed up and left Boston to take on New York for a busy 5 days. While at Fashion Week, Ashli basically did slave work. In between getting coffee and helping with outfit changes (which happened 3 times a day btw), Ashli carried all of Global Girl’s bags while traipsing around NYC. Her main job was to speak to the press on Global Girl’s behalf: reporting what Global Girl wore, then having to track which publications featured Global Girl and her style.

With celebrities galore, Ashli tried her best to fit in at fashion shows. She witnessed the styling’s of Herve Leger by BCBG and Tadashi Shoji and Lincoln Center. She rubbed elbows with Kelly Cutrone, Olivia Palermo, and even Giuliana Rancic (I AM JEALOUS OF HER LIFE).

One main lesson she learned from this experience was to always be for anything, even if you don’t know how to do something, pretend you do. Ashli needed to create “press clippings,” which she had no idea how to do. She responded, “Yea I will have it ready in an hour!” Meanwhile, Ashli scrambled to find videos and directions on how to complete the task.

Ashli is already thinking about going to Fashion Week again in January, but this time she wants to explore the backstage and production work. Ashli said, “Fashion Week is insane. It’s mesmerizing. It’s basically a circus full of beautiful people with awesome clothes, who crave being photographed. I would go again in a heart beat.”

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.