Anything but Boring: 5 Something-On-Toast Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I recently discovered YouTuber Beryl Shereshewsky, and as someone who loves food and crazy combinations, I couldn’t be happier when I saw her trying food combinations that are almost as weird as mine. Inspired by her “How the World Eats Toast” video, here’s my list of tried and tested toast combinations that work.

Peanut Butter with a Twist

If you like Thai flavors, this Thai-inspired twist to the regular peanut butter on toast is going to become your new favorite way to eat it! All you need is a well-done toast slathered with peanut butter of your choice, topped with— wait for it — a squeeze of lime juice (yes, lime juice — and it gets weirder), red pepper flakes, a sprinkle of sea salt, and coriander. This is definitely one of the weirder toast recipes I’ve tried so far, but so worth it!

Cream Cheese, Jam, and Banana

Speaking of weird, I discovered this combination in the good ole’ Warren Dining Hall when I was craving a slice of cheesecake. And that’s exactly what this toast tastes like! Combined with a few slices of banana for some added sweetness, the tangy jam and creamy smooth cheese do the job. So, next time you want some cheesecake but you find yourself feeling lazy, you know what to do — I promise you won’t regret it!

Chocolate and Cheese

I know what you’re thinking — these combinations just keep getting weirder as we move down the list, but honestly, this one took me by surprise. As hard as it is to believe, I too was skeptical of trying this. But after I learned how they drink hot chocolate in Columbia, I thought — it’s two of the best things to ever exist, on one piece of toast, so it can’t be that bad! And girl, if you, like me, are a fiend for chocolate and cheese and enjoy a little sweet n’ salty, this strange combination is right up your alley.

Maple Syrup and Sriracha

If you’ve been following my food combinations for a while now, you know this one is an oldie, but really the most versatile one in the book because it tastes good as a dipping sauce, on waffles, and turns out, it’s perfect for toast too!

Peanut Butter and Cereal

Okay, this one is just my childhood obsession with toast. I mean seriously, how can anyone not like cereal? It’s basically dessert (especially Cinnamon Toast Crunch) and that’s exactly what this toast is — a lazy lady’s dessert (or a low-budget MasterChef, as I like to call it!) The creaminess from the peanut butter and bitterness from the dark chocolate perfectly melds with the crunchy, sugary goodness from the Cinnamon Toast crunch, and voila! It’s like Max Brenner’s dessert bar exploded in your mouth.

I hope these weird but yummy combinations inspire you to go crazy and take your taste buds for a ride when you have your next piece of toast!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.