Andrea Roman: What it’s Like to be from a US Territory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Andrea Roman, a BU class of 2021 Neuroscience major from Puerto Rico, is one of the most interesting humans I have met in Boston. She has a passion for aerial silks, loves doing tech and performing in theater, and enjoys drawing and painting. She’s also originally from Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory that has been impacted by multiple storms this year.

I first met Andrea when I was working as BU summer staff for orientation. Even before having a conversation with her, she radiated positivity with her purple hair and bright smile. And by talking with her, I realized that we had a lot in common — both coming from territories, both having strong familial connections, and both having a deep love for the city of Boston.

Recently, I spoke to Andrea to see how she was doing,in light of her first year in college and away from Puerto Rico, as well as the turmoil going on in her home.

How would you describe growing up in Puerto Rico?

Andrea: Overall, great, I love my island. It’s a weird blend of Puerto Rican and American culture. Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Starbucks are all over the place amidst local markets and restaurants. English is also scattered about, even though Spanish is what is spoken everywhere. Puerto Rican culture is everywhere though, with our many “fiesta patronales” and frequent artisanal fairs.

How has your transition to the mainland been like?

Andrea: Mostly it’s been good! I’m kind of struggling to find a place here, but the people around have definitely made me feel welcome. The fact that I’m not speaking Spanish, or the very frequent Spanglish, every day is kind of weird. Also getting used to the weather constantly fluctuating has taken some time, especially when back home all you had to worry about was rain!

What do you miss most about home?

Andrea: Kind of hard to pick, so besides my friends and family, I would say the food!

How do you feel about everything going on in the White House in regards to Puerto Rico?

Andrea: Upset, mostly. Still now, a month later, around 75% of the island is without power, and it’s not like the White House is very worried. Just the other day, Trump talked about pulling relief efforts, even though he supported those affected by Harvey for as long as they needed. If Puerto Ricans are Americans too, shouldn’t we get the same amount of help? Additionally, Trump’s visit was nothing but a joke.

In general, what is it like being from a US territory?

Andrea: Frustrating and confusing. Frustrating because Puerto Rico’s economic decline is mostly due to the unclear political relationship between the island and the U.S. Additionally, even though we’re U.S. citizens, we can’t vote for President. It’s confusing because, identity-wise, I feel like I’m caught between American and Puerto Rican culture.

I fear that my English, coming from an English-speaking school, is better than my Spanish, even though Spanish is my first language and is a huge part of my cultural identity. Another thing is, in my high school, we learned about U.S. history before Puerto Rican History. Why are we learning about our own country, the one most of us are from and have lived in all our lives, last?

It almost makes you feel like you should prioritize American culture and everything America. Similarly, our schools, or at least the private schools, encourage us to go to university in the mainland U.S. If you decide to stay, at least within the school, you’re questioned as to why.

What’s your advice for other students from territories who are struggling with relating to others?

Andrea: Well, I’ve found that finding other Puerto Ricans has helped with getting used to everything because I have a sort of group of people who can personally relate to me. In a way, we’re figuring things out together from the same, or at least very similar, perspectives. Other than that, take things one step at a time. In terms of relating to others, find things in common and go off that! It’s kind of hard at first, but it’ll get better with time.

If you see Andrea and her iconic locks on campus, be sure to talk to this amazing human and get to know her. In fact, if you know anyone else who comes from a U.S. territory, there will definitely be an interesting conversation waiting for you. 

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.