This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Honestly, making this list wasn’t easy for me. I love every single musical I’ve seen, and I can’t wait for this list to get longer. Here’s every Broadway musical I’ve seen so far, ranked (don’t let the numbers fool you… the list goes from least favorite to favorite!):

The Little Mermaid

It hurts me to put this one last. The Little Mermaid was the first Broadway show I ever saw. I’m sure I absolutely loved it, but I think I was eight years old or so at the time, so I don’t have a great memory of it.

Miss Saigon

I saw this show last minute with my mom after we won super discounted tickets. Definitely a great show, but I prefer happier musicals to tragedies.

Waitress

The music for this show is incredible, and I don’t want to be ranking it this low…  but plotwise, it just isn’t the most interesting or unique show I’ve ever seen.

Rent

This show has a killer soundtrack and complex characters, and I loved it. But again, I just prefer musicals with happy endings. Rent isn’t exactly a tragedy, but I wouldn’t go see it if you want to leave in a smiley mood (however, you can read my article about seeing Rent here).

The Lion King

This show would definitely be higher on this list if, like The Little Mermaid, I hadn’t seen it when I was younger. The Lion King was the second Broadway musical I ever saw, and while I don’t remember everything, I do remember absolutely stunning costumes and the feeling of awe as the characters ran down the aisles beside me.

Wicked

This show is a classic for a reason. Incredible music, incredible plot, lovable and interesting characters… what more could you ask for?

Dear Evan Hansen

I saw Dear Evan Hansen this past summer. I went into the show thinking I knew what it was about, only to find out I was unaware of a major plot twist that occurs early in the show. Its heartfelt soundtrack and powerful message blew me away.

Kinky Boots

My mom and I got tickets to this show at the last minute box office when I was touring colleges in New York City. I had no clue what it was about, and I was completely in love afterward. Kinky Boots is the only show I’ve seen having heard 0% of the soundtrack beforehand, but that soundtrack was on repeat for months after I saw it. You won’t be able to stop yourself from falling in love with the characters of this amazing show.

Hamilton: An American Musical

I know, it’s probably basic to rank Hamilton as number one, but it really is the best musical I’ve ever seen. By the time I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the show, I’d already memorized all of the lyrics, and the hardest part was not being able to sing along.

Although Broadway may be shut down right now due to COVID-19 precautions, you can use this list of musicals to pick the next soundtrack you listen to while doing homework and take it as an opportunity to plan something fun in the future!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.