9 Things You Learn When You’re a Complete Mess 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m a flipping mess. Ask my roommate. My life is so chaotic that my room itself has gotten to the point where it’s going to take packing everything up to clean it.  

1. Clean your bananas up 

This isn’t figurative. I’m serious. If the banana is older than a day or two, and especially if you got it from the dining hall, throw it out. You will forget that it’s sitting in your bag, and it will get smushed all over everything you own. And you definitely will forget that it was on your desk, and that it fell to the ground, and you will step on it early in the morning and have to clean it off your carpet with a toothbrush. 

2. Running on Bay State is a very bad idea 

Sidewalks are just not to be run on, because they’re too hard on your knees. I ended up busting my knee there a couple of times. And that sidewalk isn’t leveled at all, which, even though I’ve lived on the street for a couple of years, I never truly learned. Don’t want to scar that face. 

3. Things that can attach as keychains to your bags are your best friends 

Legit, I hook my umbrella up to my backpack and it feels so nice to not have to carry it amongst the millions of things I already carry in my hands. 

4. No amount of organization will save you 

I bought a basket for my books. My books are never in that basket. I bought organizers for my desk, I still can’t find anything. I used to actually organize my closet by color and occasion, which resulted in majority of the clothes being outside on my desk because “I’ll deal with them when I have time.” 

5. It’s probably best to warn your future roommate 

Tell them that by mid semester your room would look like a storm hit it. It’s better that they know from now, because then you’ll just have problems later. 

6. No one understands how you actually know where things are 

There’s actually a system to this chaos. I know my desk is a mile high, but I know exactly what’s on it, and where. 

7. Wash your dishes before break 

Fungus. Enough said. 

8. Food that doesn’t require a plate > food that does 

You don’t have to do dishes. At all. No dishes means no mess.  

9. It’s okay that your social life is a mess 

It’s cool, ’cause then no one gets close enough to you to see how messed up you really are. And no one enters your room, which is a huge bonus, because then you’d actually have to clean, and do laundry. 

You may be a mess, but hey, at least you’ve got a system. 

Alizah Ali is a senior at BU. She's working on her biology-premed degree, which finds her often in the quietest parts of the library. She loves coffee and bunnies and running whenever the Boston weather lets her. She's a big advocate for mental health destigmatization and awareness. Follow her on instagram @lizza0419
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.