9 Diverse TV Shows You Should be Watching According To Your Personality Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’re fortunate to be in a time when many of the shows currently on television are diverse and representative of the world around us. There, of course, is still work to be done, but we can appreciate the wonderful shows out right now. While each show is recommended for a specific identity they represent, most of these shows have so many different types of representation present. If you’re currently looking for new shows to watch, below is a list of recommendations. 

If you’re looking for a lighthearted comedy with a range of ethnicities and sexualities, watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a great comedy that will have you laughing the entire episode. Among all the comedy, the show skillfully discusses more difficult topics such as coming out, being a woman in a male-dominated field, and racial profiling. The cast is full of characters from many different backgrounds including Latina, black, gay, bisexual, and Jewish. Each character’s identity is used to empower the character and never as the butt of a joke. 

If you’re looking for a family show about young women in STEM, watch The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia!

This is a new Netflix kid’s show about Ashley Garcia, the youngest person to have a PhD. What’s so wonderful about this show is that it casually and organically talks about issues young people face, including insecurity, anxiety, and relationships. This is a great show for young girls to watch because it shows a woman succeeding in STEM. Another interesting thing in this show is that it shows a young character dealing with a homeless family member. This is rarely talked about on TV, although it’s a prevalent issue people are facing. 

If you’re looking for a thrilling and drama-filled foreign show, watch Elite!

Elite is a Spanish teen drama about the death of a prep school girl. As the season unfolds, the crazy things the other students do are revealed. This is a show that will constantly have you at the edge of your seat. I definitely recommend this to anyone who loves mystery or drama. Another important thing to note about this show is that one of the main characters is HIV+ but is shown to be in a relationship. Many times, HIV+ diagnoses are depicted as a death sentence, but this is shown as simply something the character manages. Additionally, it shows the importance of having open and honest discussions before sex. 

If you’re looking for a contemporary drama about the Deaf community, watch Switched at Birth!

This show is the oldest on the list, having premiered back in 2011. Before this show, there wasn’t much space in mainstream media for either the deaf community or ASL. After this show, there were many more deaf characters on TV in shows like The Magicians, Supernatural, and Grey’s Anatomy. What was great about Switched at Birth was that it showed the different experiences deaf people have in schools, hospitals, and public spaces, as well as their relationship with ASL. This show doesn’t solely focus on the deaf community but also the lives of two teenage girls who were switched at birth. This show is great for anyone who loves contemporary drama or who wants to learn more about the Deaf community. 

If you’re looking for an action-packed show about a group of unlike people working together to save lives, watch 911: Lone Star!

911: Lone Star is a spinoff of 911, a show about first responders in LA. Lone Star is a show about first responders in Austin, Texas. The show begins with a firefighter moving from New York to rebuild a station after a fatal tragedy. While rebuilding the station, Captain Strand recruits firefighters from many different cities. This show has a cast of a Muslim hijabi woman, a DACA recipient with dyslexia, a black trans man, a gay man, a straight man interested in beauty products, and someone dealing with PTSD. I love seeing the characters combating stereotypes and getting into crazy situations to save lives. 

If you’re looking for a show where “love is love” is one of the main sentiments, watch Legends of Tomorrow!

The Arrowverse (the culmination of CW superhero shows) is fairly diverse as a whole, but Legends of Tomorrow stands out for being particularly diverse. Most of the characters are part of the LGBTQIA+ community both in sexuality and gender identity. This show is one of the only airing right now with a gender-fluid character. Additionally, the show has Muslim characters that are very open about their faith. The best part about this show is that it’s big on acceptance no matter what. People get second chances, no one questions your identity, any kind of person has a spot on their team. All this happens so organically in a show that masterfully mixes time travel with supernatural creature hunting and absolute insanity. 

If you’re looking for a dramedy about a boy with autism, watch Atypical!

The most common perspective on people with autism is that they are incapable of being independent and fully-functioning adults. Atypical flips this perspective on its head. Sam, the protagonist, is shown pursuing romantic relationships, jobs, and independence in general. I can’t speak to how accurately it portrayed autism, but I have heard many positive reviews. Additionally, the show has one of the most popular lesbian couples on television. So, this show is great for people who love a heartfelt comedy or want to see a show with a character with autism. 

If you’re looking for a show about life as a millennial and woman empowerment, watch The Bold Type!

The Bold Type has been deemed the feminist show of our time. The three ladies of Scarlet Magazine go through everyday struggles like relationships, sexuality, career searching, health, and many more. It’s so refreshing to see a show so honestly portraying issues millennials, and more specifically millennial women, are facing. The show has been so open about discussing reproductive issues and figuring out one’s sexuality. As a millennial/gen z woman, it makes me feel seen and validates some struggle I’ve faced. 

If you’re looking for a dramedy about an Asian family learning about the world around them while balancing relationships with each other, watch Kim’s Convenience!

This is a wonderful light-hearted sitcom about a Korean immigrant family living in Canada. It shows the everyday struggles of the family adapting to the ever-evolving world around them. This show will make you smile and laugh. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a casual and funny show to watch.

This isn’t a comprehensive list of all the diverse shows out there right now. These are just some worth mentioning. Although many identities are represented on this list, there is so much more that can be done. It was hard to find shows about Asians, the Deaf community, and those with disabilities. I hope there comes a time when everyone can easily find a show about someone like them. Until then, there are many diverse shows that we can appreciate.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.