This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s do some visualization. You have people coming over and you want them to think you have everything under control in your life. I’ve got you, babe, don’t you worry. Here are some things you should have in your pantry/fridge/kitchen/cabinet at all times to seem like you know what you’re doing with your life. Fake it ’til you make it, right?

Coffee, Creamer/Milk, and Sugar

I know this sounds like a given, and I’m sure you already have this (if you’re a functioning person), but this is a super easy thing to offer immediately when someone walks in the door. It makes your apartment smell like adulthood and everybody always wants more coffee. While we’re on the topic, why not get yourself an inexpensive milk frother and whip up some lovely lattes or cafe au laits?

Black, Green, and Herbal Tea

A box of tea at Trader Joe’s is like three dollars. This is not a huge investment, but it means all the difference. Who doesn’t love a cup of tea after dinner? How classy! How British! How chic! Heck, if you really want to, go to Goodwill and grab some adorable teacups and saucers. Maybe even get a tea kettle.

Chocolate Bars or Bowl of Chocolate Covered Almonds

Yeah, they’re a little expensive. But imagine, you finish dinner and immediately put out a bunch of chocolate on the table for people to snack on while you chat. I mean??? Come on??? How is that not perfect?

Ingredients for Pantry Pasta

Everyone is starving. What do you do, because you’re an adult? Whip up some GD pasta. Pantry pasta is just a bunch of staples thrown into a pot – dried pasta, salt, lemon, parmesan, and black pepper. Save the pasta water and add it in as you add the rest. Pasta, bitches.

Literally Just a Bunch of Veggies

Crudites, if you will. Throw a bunch of raw and dippable veggies into a big bowl next to a small bowl of tahini, lemon, and salt. Yeah, we’re fancy.

Frozen Homemade Cookie Dough

Next time you make cookies, make a double batch and freeze half of the dough for ~emergencies~. Next time somebody needs some love, you’ll be there with fresh-baked cookies in minutes.

Bread and EVOO

Have I mentioned that we are being classy from here on out? Rip a baguette up, throw it in a hot oven for like a minute to get it warm, and throw some olive oil next to it. Maybe even a little balsamic. You do you. Carbs and oil? I think we’re all down for that.

Honorable Mention: Apples

My grandma always says that there is nothing better than a sliced up apple. It’s true—nobody can resist a good sliced apple.

I hope you impress your guests with these new additions to your pantry!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Freshman from Milwaukee, Wisconsin studying Journalism. Passionate about animal rights, food, current events, comedy, and (of course) writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.