This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Through the missed events, missed friends, and overall uncertainty that accompanies this time period, it can sometimes be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it’s nice to have a reminder that we’re going to be okay, or just a sense that someone else out there shares our “blah” feelings. I think each of the following songs is comforting for those reasons.

“A letter to my younger self” – Ambar Lucid

The title is pretty self-explanatory, but this is just a really sweet and reflective song. I find it to be a nice reminder that your biggest worries from yesterday didn’t end up ruining your life today, and the same will be true when you look back in the future.

“Sweet Pea” – Amos Lee

I love the simplicity of this song––the consistent strumming and yearning (yet lightly sung) lyrics make it a very soothing listen. Michigan Daily described the song as carrying a “tinge of blues,” which I think is the reason it has the ability to hit home so hard.

“Don’t Worry Baby” – The Beach Boys

Despite my qualms about The Beach Boys in general (their biggest hit was an overt rip-off of Chuck Berry, which they called a “tribute” despite not originally giving credit…), “Don’t Worry Baby” is a really nice listen. Again, it’s pretty straightforward based on the title, but it’s soothing and direct and sometimes we all need to hear that.

“Waltz #2” – Elliot Smith

Many of Elliot Smith’s songs can sound like a nice hug until you listen to the actual lyrics. But I love them nonetheless. His soft, soothing voice coupled with often painful lyrics is always a recipe for an emotional listen. “Waltz #2” is one of my all-time favorites; the music sounds tinged with hope despite lyrics like, “She shows no emotion at all / Stares into space like a dead china doll.” But I find the hook, “I’m never gonna know you now, but I’m gonna love you anyhow” comforting; it reminds me that we are all imperfect humans at the end of the day.

“Bashed Out” – This Is The Kit

This is a great song for when you’re feeling a bit down or disheartened––not because it’ll make you feel better, but because it’ll match your mood in a very serene way. Kate Stables’ soft voice makes this song somewhat eerie yet soothing at the same time.

“Adelaide Sky” – Adhitia Sofyan

This song has a similar feeling to the last, but I’d like to think it’s slightly more hopeful. It’s about missing someone and times changing, which is probably very applicable to most of us right now.

“Tomorrow’s Gonna Be A Brighter Day” – Jim Croce

After those last few songs, I thought I should probably end with a more upbeat one. This one’s definitely still got a bit of a sad tinge to it, but overall its message is true to its title and it makes me feel happier when I’m down.

If you’ve been feeling lonely or sad during this stressful time, know you are not alone! Hopefully these songs can bring you a bit of comfort, or at least some company.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Anika is a sophomore at Boston University studying Media Science and Psychology. She is from San Diego, CA and enjoys going to the beach, doing yoga and listening to music.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.