7 DIY Projects To Cope With Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Get creative and have some fun with these projects to get out of cabin fever. 

Just because you’re staying at home doesn’t mean you can only watch (and rewatch) TV shows and scroll through social media all day. With all this spare time, try something new and get creative with a DIY project. Some may seem daunting (and expensive), like remodeling whole bedrooms or embroidering intricate floral patterns. But there are tons of DIY projects out there that help you make a stunning work of art out of the most basic household items. Here are 7 DIY projects to keep your creative juices flowing.

No Knead Bread

You won’t need to break a sweat when making this bread. Created by Jim Lahey of Sullivan Street Bakery, this unique recipe only requires simple ingredients and patience. The 24 hour prep time may raise some eyebrows but it’s all worth it as it leaves you with a golden, deliciously chewy loaf of bread. With this recipe, you’ll be an expert no-knead bread maker in no time. You can find the recipe here

DIY Trail Mix

Tired of munching on the same flavor of chips for the past month? Try making your own trail mixes to mix your snack repertoire up a bit. They’re easy to make and (sometimes) healthier too. From pretzels and M&Ms to nuts and Chex Mix, the possibilities are endless when it comes to trail mixes.   

Origami

With flowers blooming left and right, celebrate spring by folding your own origami flowers. The designs may look daunting but websites like Paper Kawaii have created easy to follow tutorials for all levels to make their own floral paper creations. While it’s nice to make origami with colorful origami paper, you don’t need to go out of your way to buy special paper. Just regular paper and dedication will do! Before you know it, you’ll be making origami bouquets by the minute with these simple designs.     

Pom Pom Garland

Spruce up your room with this cute DIY room decor project. With some yarn, cardboard, and scissors, you can make pom pom garlands to add a splash of color to your room. Try using these garlands to clip on photos and to do lists. Check out this tutorial to make your very own pom poms!

String Art

String Art

Not really a DIY gal? Give string art a shot. Simple to learn with tons of free templates online, string art can be a great stress-reliever and make great room decor. Just string together some colorful string on a flat surface and voila! you have a stunning masterpiece to brag about. 

DIY Scrunchie

Step up your scrunchie game with these tutorials and make a scrunchie collection every VSCO girl will envy. The infamous hair ties come up in all shapes and form, from the basic scrunchies to scrunchies with bows. If you’re in the process of cleaning out your closet, try reusing barely worn clothes as fabric for the hair ties. No sewing machine? No worries! JenerationDIY has a great no-sew scrunchies tutorial here .  

DIY Website

Take advantage of this standby time to make your very own online portfolio or blog. Websites like Wix and WordPress have a whole range of eye-catching, jaw-dropping templates to choose from and customize. From simple and clean minimalist templates to fun and colorful artsy templates, there’s a website for everyone. Can’t decide on what kind of website you want? Wix has an option where they make a template for you based on your answers to a couple of design questions.

These projects are a great way to kill some time and be productive all while having fun. Give one of these fun projects a try (or all of them) when you can!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is currently a junior at Boston University studying English and English Education. In addition to her love for reading and writing, she has an unhealthy obsession with cute desserts and graphic tee shirts. When she's not typing away on her laptop, you can find her cafe hunting, bopping to music, or doodling.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.