7 Books to Add to Your 2021 Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Hey you! Yeah, you! When’s the last time you actually finished reading a book? And I don’t mean flipping through one in a trendy book store or buying a popular book and never finishing it. Sometimes it seems like a huge feat to get through a book with how busy life can get, but it’s so worth it. Books transport you to a new world and connect with characters. Plus, there are so many amazing authors out there who deserve to have their masterpieces recognized. Here is a list of my picks to help you get back into the magic of books, even if you we never a big reader.

“Such a Fun Age” by Kiley Reid

This book is nothing if not relatable. Emira is a recent college grad who doesn’t know what she wants to do with her life yet (sounds like myself and literally everyone I know). She loves her nannying job and her other side job, even when people tell her she can do better. Her character journey throughout the book is really interesting and she learns a lesson at the end that pushes her to think about who she is and what she wants. 

“One Day in December” by Josie Silver

One Day in December is an adorable, feel-good romantic story. There are so many plot twists and I absolutely loved how things played out after each one. This book made me tear up when I finished it, and it’s honestly just the perfect novel if you want a fun, happy read.

“The Giver of Stars” by Jojo Moyes

If you like stories with a little bit of history, The Giver of Stars is for you. It’s set in Depression Era South and follows a group of packhorse librarians as they fight to keep books alive in a small Kentucky town. There’s romance, tragedy, and suspense, but most of all, it’s a story about resilient women who fight for the people they care about.

“Just Mercy” by Bryan Stevenson

I loved Just Mercy because the author Bryan Stevenson tells his story so well. Stevenson is a civil rights attorney and his work with the Equal Justice Initiative is known for its defense of death row inmates who have been wrongly condemned or who cannot afford proper representation. The book sheds light on their cases and the broken US justice system. The novel has also inspired a movie that highlights one man named Walter McMillian who was exonerated as a result of Stevenson’s defense. 

“Something in the Water” by Catherine Steadman

This book is a great suspenseful mystery. It starts out with a honeymoon and ends with a murder, if that tells you anything. The story constantly had me guessing what would happen next and imagining what I would do if I were in the position of the main character. It’s an exciting novel and quick read because I simply couldn’t put it down!

“Untamed” by Glennon Doyle

I absolutely loved Glennon Doyle’s most recent memoir. It’s almost hard to describe because it was just so moving and covered every facet of our lives, even the parts we feel as though we can’t express. Glennon’s story is about how society places all of these expectations on us, yet we have to stop trying to please everyone and start letting our true selves shine through. Doyle talks about what it means to be a woman, a mom, a partner, a sister, a daughter, a friend, and so much more.

“Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens

If you don’t love to read, this is the book I would recommend to you. It was hands down the best novel I have ever read (at least so far). Where the Crawdads Sing is set in a marsh in North Carolina and tells the coming-of-age story of Kya Clark, whom the locals refer to as “Marsh Girl.” Kya experiences loss and heartbreak, but also love. It’s a beautiful story that I will never stop trying to get others to read. 

This list has something for everyone, from romance, relatable stories, fantasy, historical fiction, and memoirs. I hope you’re able to add these books to your 2021 reading list. Pro tip: get a library card if you don’t already have one. Find out what service your library uses to rent eBooks, which you can read on a Kindle, iPad, laptop, or phone. You can also reserve the physical book from your library, borrow a copy from a friend, or check out local bookstores.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!