absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Recipes You Can Make Right in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Eliza Shaw

I know Warren dining hall is hard to beat and I mean, as some say, “West is Best”, but sometimes you need an…how do I put this…edible meal. You deserve a good nosh, and it’s even better if you can make it in your dorm room with a microwave and a couple easy ingredients. No need to put on jeans and leave the building, I got you covered.

1. 3-Minute Microwave Pancake

Recipe and picture courtesy of: The Gingham Apron

I know what you’re saying to yourself right now, “pancakes in the microwave? That can’t be good.” But trust me, it can happen. All you need to make these pancakes is pancake mix, butter (which can be substituted with oil), and water. Yes, that’s really it. You can add chocolate chips, bananas, or blueberries. Have some fun with it!

Click here for the full recipe.

2. Microwave Egg Frittata

Picture and recipe courtesy of Genius Kitchen

A fancy frittata on a budget! Sure…you could go to the dining hall for some subpar, dry eggs, or you can go out and buy a hefty omelet (for an even heftier $12), but you could also just pop some eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and toppings of your choice in the microwave and BAM––fancy frittata.

Click here for the full recipe.

3. Microwave Jelly Doughnut 

Picture and recipe courtesy of Bigger Bolder Baking

Time to splurge. I’m from New York, so maybe I underestimate the power of Dunkin Donuts to a New Englander, but a doughnut you can make in your microwave sounds pretty damn cool. All you need is some butter, sugar, flour, egg yolk, baking powder, cinnamon, and jelly. I know it sounds like a lot, but I repeat––a doughnut you can make in your own microwave is so worth it.

Click here for the full recipe

4. 5-Minute Burrito Bowl

Picture and recipe courtesy of Healthy Liv

We all love some Chipotle and authentic Mexican restaurants. But, what if you could save yourself money and make a delicious burrito bowl in your room? You just need some brown rice, black beans, salsa, Greek yogurt, and shredded cheese. If you’re a carnivore like myself, you could add some chicken or other meat.

Click here for the full recipe.

5. Chocolate Chip Pecan Mug Cake

Picture and recipe courtesy of The Almond Eater

Dessert time! Not only is this recipe a chocolate chip delight, it has some sweet and crunchy pecans in it. It is such a simple recipe and such a worthwhile outcome. You’re gonna need some flour, baking soda, salt, syrup, vanilla, pecans and chocolate chips. So good!

Click here for the full recipe.

6. Skinny Brownie

Picture and recipe courtesy of Amy’s Healthy Baking

What’s better than a brownie you can make in your microwave?? A skinny brownie!! You can even make it a little less skinny by adding some ice cream…a good choice I feel. A nice, sweet surprise for any time of the day. Hey, there’s no shame in eating a brownie for breakfast!

Click here for full recipe.

So you see, it’s possible to make a good meal in your room! Trust me, there’s a lot more out there, but I hope this gave you a general gist of the endless possibilities that are out there. Stay strong and cook on folks!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.