6 Book Recommendations Based Off Your Favorite TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As someone firmly planted in BookTok (a side of TikTok all about books), I’ve been getting overwhelmed by the amount of quality stories I have to add to my reading list. The videos that stick out to me the most, however, are those that tell me why I’d like a book, rather than just random recommendations. I recently saw a video that gave suggestions based off of TV shows. I thought to myself, “Reading and watching TV are my only personality traits, so I can do that!” So here I am, giving you matching pairs of novels and series. All of these books are ones I’ve loved, so I can vouch for them all. If you’re not a big reader, sometimes it’s worth it to stick to a genre or vibe you know you like in order to get started!

If you like intense period dramas like “The Queen’s Gambit,” try “These Violent Delights” by Chloe Gong

These Violent Delights is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet but with 1920s rival gangs – but calling it a Shakespeare retelling is only half the story. It’s just as intense, glamourous, and tragic as the original, but with a super successful and eerie fantasy element. Roma and Juliette are the epitome of enemies-to-lovers, like knives in the back enemies, and their dynamic is beyond engaging. There’s also a lot of representation in this book, which the fantasy genre can sometimes lack. Overall, this book will capture your attention just like your favorite binge-watches, and there’s a sequel coming so that cliffhanger will soon be worth it!

If you like trashy reality TV like “The Bachelor,” try “One to Watch” by Kate Stayman-London

The Bachelor franchise is a guilty pleasure for so many of us, myself included. So, no judgement here! But recently, it’s becoming a lot guiltier, with scandals piling up and Instagram apologies being posted daily. One to Watch follows the story of a contestant on a highly similar show who gets the lead after roasting the show’s lack of diversity online, so it’s especially refreshing to hear our own qualms reflected. Bea, the main character, is a plus-sized fashion blogger who brings an exciting new attitude to the show’s tired format. This book is by no means flawless in its representation, but it’s cheesy and fun enough to satisfy your garbage TV cravings. And the cast of guys are way more swoony than the problematic contestants Matt got stuck with this year.

If you like regency-era romance like Bridgerton, try “The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue” by Mackenzi Lee

I technically think this book is set in the Georgian period, but it still has the same amount of petticoats and balls and spoiled rich families as the Netflix hit Bridgerton does. The story follows main character Monty as he gets involved in all kinds of trouble (pirates, manhunts, magical keys, etc.) on his grand tour of Europe. Monty is flirtatious and cheeky just like our favorite Bridgerton boys, his main romance rivals Daphne and the Duke’s, and his little sister is a feminist icon reminiscent of Eloise. It’s a silly, fun romp with a roguish lead, but at the center is a swoony story of love and friendship. Sound familiar?

If you like YA TV dramedies, try “Today Tonight Tomorrow” by Rachel Lynn Solomon or “Alex, Approximately” by Jenn Bennett

Teen dramas are my personal favorite because they’re predictable, easy-to-understand, and always full of loveable characters. These two suggestions have all of those things, and make for really sweet and sometimes corny guilty pleasures. Today Tonight Tomorrow follows high school rivals Rowan and Neil as they team up for their senior year scavenger hunt, a tradition they’re both determined to win. Working together for the first time, they learn about each other’s lives and even start to fall in love. It’s sweet, witty, and super well-written, and will give you all the feels your favorite TV drama does. Alex, Approximately is another easy read reminiscent of great teen shows like The O.C. Main character Bailey moves to California, where her movie fanatic pen-pal lives. She doesn’t tell him she’s there, especially as she starts to fall for bad-boy porter. It has all the makings of a classic rom-com but with relatable YA aspects too. Totally recommend both these if you’re open to a little cheese!

If you like artsy, thought-provoking slice-of-life stories like “Euphoria,” try “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe” by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

This is a super popular recommendation amongst book fans, and for good reason. It tells the story of Aristotle and Dante, two very different boys, one who is angry and from a troubled family, the other sweet and sensitive who finds it hard to make friends. Over one beautiful complicated journey, they bond over family and friendship and find themselves growing into new people. It’s intense, sad, and truly beautiful, similar to Euphoria. It’s also a coming of age story that is relatable to everyone regardless of their circumstances, and it has the same artsy, highly stylized vibe that Euphoria does even though the plot is much more… tame. 

If you like intense thrillers like “Tell Me Your Secrets or Black Mirror,” try the trilogy “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer” by Michelle Hodkin

This trilogy was around during the age of golden YA, where series were being produced at mass speed and in mass quantities. However, I think this one slipped through the cracks. It follows Mara, a girl who loses her memory and her sanity as she attempts to uncover the freaky and possibly paranormal things that are happening around her. It’s dark and weird and confusing and will make you question everything. It’s still fun and romantic, but the intensity is definitely there if you like things that stick with you long after you put the book down. 

I hope this helped you find something new to read and that it helps you find your way onto BookTok sometime soon! Happy reading!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a senior at BU studying PR and minoring in Film and TV. She loves reading YA novels, watching (and screenwriting) rom-coms, baking new recipes, and convincing herself that One Direction is reuniting soon.