5 Weekend Trips for Boston Students Who Just Need to Get Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

College is an exciting, wonderful, crazy experience, but it can also be extremely draining. Classes can be stressful, exams leave you burned out, and sometimes the workload seems impossibly daunting. After a long week at school it isn’t uncommon to feel the urgent desire to get away from it all.  College students in Boston are lucky because there are so many places we can escape to when we really need a weekend away. And although most students in Boston do not have cars on campus, there are so many nearby destinations that are accessible by public transportation. Whether you want a relaxing destination or one full of new places to explore and food to try, this list will have a weekend getaway to satisfy your wanderlust.     

1 Providence, Rhode Island  

Photo via http://www.rhode-island-locksmith.com/Locksmith_files/locksmith-providence-ri.jpg 

The MBTA commuter rail is an inexpensive and easy way to get to Providence for the weekend. At approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, it is one of the shorter trips on this list, and it’s perfect if you want a short travel time to get the most out of your trip. Providence has plenty of fun activities for college students to explore:

• The RISD Museum showcases some impressive pieces of artwork, including works by Vincent Van Gogh, Andy Warhol, and Claude Monet. And, if you visit on a Sunday, the entrance fee is waived! 
  • The Riverwalk is a nice way to decompress and do some retail therapy. With shops and restaurants lining the Woonasquatucket River, you can shop, dine, or even enjoy the WaterFire shows, a series that is put on from May to November and includes bonfires on the river and gondolas gliding across the water.
  • Providence is also home to a couple of colleges, including Brown University. If you find the need to bring school work along on this getaway, take some time to explore Brown’s campus and then spend some time in the gorgeous John Hay Library or laying out on the grassy grounds to get your work done.

2 Cape Cod, Massachusetts 

Photo \via https://mynaturewallpapers.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/crosby-landing-nickerson-state-park-cape-cod.jpg 

For beach lovers who also want a short travel time, Cape Cod is the ideal place to visit. A ferry trip can take you straight from the harbor in downtown Boston to Fisherman’s Wharf in Provincetown, MA, in only an hour and a half! But if you’re not one for boats, the Cape is also accessible by bus or even by plane if you’re willing to splurge. Cape Cod is full of outdoor activities, including:

• The beaches, of course! This is the main attraction of Cape Cod, with popular spots including Coast Guard Beach, Nauset Beach, and Race Point Beach. The calming waves crashing on the shore and picturesque views will surely make you temporarily forget about whatever exams or papers are stressing you out.
  • Provincetown, affectionately nicknamed “P-Town,” is a must-see when you visit Cape Cod. Besides its historical significance — the Mayflower landed in what is now Provincetown in 1620 — P-Town offers kayak, bicycle, and paddleboard rentals if you’re looking to try a new outdoor activity, or shopping and dining when you’re ready for a break!

3 Washington D.C. 

Photo via https://ihitthebutton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/us-capitol-seal-sunset-reflection-1600×2000.jpg 

Washington D.C. is a bit of a further trip from Boston, but if you love exploring new cities and have a long weekend, it is definitely worth the 7 hour train ride on Amtrak’s Acela Express route. D.C. has everything: history, arts, entertainment, shopping, and anything else you could possibly want to do! It’s difficult to choose just a few attractions, but here are some highlights you won’t want to miss:

• It is practically a law that you have to see the National Mall if it’s your first time visiting D.C. Among others, this 2 mile stretch of monuments includes the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the National World War II Memorial. It is a perfect place to take in gorgeous architecture and to appreciate all of the history in Washington D.C.
  • Georgetown is the place to go if you want to get some shopping done. With both high-end shops and retail chains, anyone can find something to their liking in Georgetown. And when you’ve shopped until you dropped, there are plenty of places to grab a bite, including the famous Georgetown Cupcake.
  • The Smithsonian Museums are another classic D.C. tourist spot, but for a good reason. Entry to all of these museums is free, and you can enjoy the masterpieces displayed in the National Art Gallery or the many significant exhibits in the National Museum of American History, including Abe Lincoln’s top hat and a collection of First Ladies’ inaugural ball gowns.

4 Old Orchard Beach, Maine 

Photo Via https://i.pinimg.com/564x/14/8d/ca/148dca0785746f59c9e7f74e279d406c.jpg 

Old Orchard Beach is another seaside destination, located just south of Portland, Maine. OOB is accessible to Boston students by train (the Amtrak Downeaster), coming in at about a 2 hour and 20 minute ride. If you enjoy the beach but also want a fair amount of entertainment, OOB is a great place to go. The main attractions here include:

• The downtown area, which includes an amusement park (Palace Playland), a pier with 5 places to eat, and shopping options concentrated all around the downtown area. Whether you want to ride a ferris wheel, eat delicious (and iconic) Pier Fries, or play mini golf, Old Orchard Beach definitely has an activity that will entertain you.
  • Obviously another great reason to visit OOB is the beaches! If you don’t want to brave the sometimes cold ocean waters of Maine, just relaxing on a beach towel with a good book or a binge-worthy Netflix show can be a great way to enjoy the expansive shoreline of Old Orchard Beach.

5 New York City, New York 

Photo via https://lovingnewyork.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Empire-State-Building-Nova-York-1600×960.jpg 

No list of travel destinations located in the north east would be complete without New York City! If you are from far away and have never visited NYC, this trip is a must. And even if you live nearby and have been many times, there’s always something new to do. Just a 3 hour and 45 minute trip on Amtrak’s Acela Express route will bring you right to the heart of the excitement in NYC. When planning an NYC getaway, don’t forget to stop at:

• The Top of the Rock Observation Deck. If you want the perfect insta shot of your weekend away, this is the place to do it. The Top of the Rock has a beautiful 360° view of New York City that includes Central Park and all of the iconic skyscrapers of midtown and downtown Manhattan. And with nighttime hours, it’s also a great place to watch the sunset over NYC’s skyline.
  • SoHo (named for being “South of Houston Street”) is one of the most popular shopping areas in NYC. There are many different places to stop, varying in both style and price range. SoHo is also home to many trendy food spots, such as Big Gay Ice Cream, Dominique Ansel Bakery (home of the Cronut), and Black Tap (famous for its crazy milkshakes).
  • If you love art museums, try to stop by the Museum of Modern Art or the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Both are homes to some of the most iconic pieces of art in the world, including Monet’s “Bridge over a Pond of Water Lilies,” Van Gogh’s “The Starry Night,” and Salvador Dalί’s “The Persistence of Memory.”

Don’t forget to give yourself the R & R time you need, and have fun exploring!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.