diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Unique Poems You Should Read This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Maybe you’re finishing up with your midterms. Maybe they’re just beginning. Either way, you definitely need to take a break, breathe, and read some fun poems. The poems below are a mix of funny and serious, so there’s some writing for everyone to enjoy.

1. “What’s the greatest lesson a woman should learn?” by Rupi Kaur

Rupi Kaur is receiving a lot of hype lately and it is well-deserved. Although her style strays from more traditional poems, it evokes such powerful emotion. Her voice speaks to all women, especially this particular poem.  

2. “All Hallows” by Louise Glück

I first discovered Louise Glück in my poetry workshop this semester and fell in love with her poems. “All Hallows” is reminiscent of fall and feels a little spooky towards the end, which makes it perfect for this time of year.

3. “Sonnet” by Terrance Hayes

This has to be my favorite sonnet I’ve read to date because even though it’s just one line repeated 14 times, it is still a structurally sound sonnet in iambic pentameter.

4. “The Rose Family” by Robert Frost

This poem is simple, but I love it anyway because of the repetition. I’m partial to poems that rhyme and I also feel like there’s a lot of nature symbols that help tie in an autumnal theme.

5. “The Romance” by Shel Silverstein

If you didn’t read Shel Silverstein when you were little, I would be shocked. I love this poem because it reminds me of my childhood, but the message behind it can also be interpreted in a more mature way.

I hope that this was a productive break from studying and at least one of these poems made you smile. Now go on and conquer your weekend!

Cover Photo Credit: Tupperlake.com

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Lucy is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. She lives in San Diego but prefers Boston. She has one cat but she would really like a large dog. You can find her lounging on the Esplanade, binge-watching Netflix in her room, or hanging out with friends on the BU beach. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.